• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

rubbing back the bluing on a rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I own a rifle the previous owner rubbed back the bluing. I really like that look. how to I do it? course steel wool?

I would start with something very mild. You can go harsher as needed. I believe coarse steel wool would rub your bluing right off.

I have great success w/ ‘worn’ gray Scotchbrite pads. Sometimes when ‘new’ they scratch too much. I use my basement main beam support pole as my steel to wear one in, lol.

Just move slow and deliberate. Pictures don’t really show it well, but here is an attempt. The first one is a TC that was rust blued and rubbed back with green (600 grit) Scotch Brite. The second is a GPR also rust blued, but not yet rubbed back as much. Still want to break the sharp corners a bit more.

If you are worried about it being too aggressive, you could try the light grey (6-800 grit) or the white (1000 grit). Might want to practice on the bottom of the barrel until you get the look you want, where the stock will hide your practice attempts.
upload_2019-10-21_16-34-17.jpeg

upload_2019-10-21_16-34-53.jpeg

Just move slow and deliberate. Pictures don’t really show it well, but here is an attempt. The first one is a TC that was rust blued and rubbed back with green (600 grit) Scotch Brite. The second is a GPR also rust blued, but not yet rubbed back as much. Still want to break the sharp corners a bit more.

If you are worried about it being too aggressive, you could try the light grey (6-800 grit) or the white (1000 grit). Might want to practice on the bottom of the barrel until you get the look you want, where the stock will hide your practice attempts.
View attachment 17182
View attachment 17183
Those look great! Thank you men

Back