• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

RR's on European guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col. Batguano

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a lovely little SxS double express rifle by James D. Purdey & Sons, vintage 1857. The RR appears to be an original, or, a very well done vintage replacement. The RR appears to be somewhat purplish in color. I'm thinking that this is probably Rosewood, but perhaps it could be something else? Ebony maybe, such as on the turn screws? It's very sense and hard, but sure doesn't look like Hickory, but (stains and dyes can camouflage a lot) I could be wrong too. Does anyone have knowledge of what woods would have been used on guns of that era, by manufacturers such as them?

Col. Batguano said:
I just picked up a lovely little SxS double express rifle by James D. Purdey & Sons, vintage 1857. The RR appears to be an original, or, a very well done vintage replacement. The RR appears to be somewhat purplish in color. I'm thinking that this is probably Rosewood, but perhaps it could be something else? Ebony maybe, such as on the turn screws? It's very sense and hard, but sure doesn't look like Hickory, but (stains and dyes can camouflage a lot) I could be wrong too. Does anyone have knowledge of what woods would have been used on guns of that era, by manufacturers such as them?
Most likely it is ebony which was a popular wood for ramrods .
Feltwad

If not ebony then Purpleheart.
This was a very common wood for rammers made in the UK.
It is a rich colour, and very dense. I still have some purpleheart blanks lying around.

I'd love to see your little rifle!

Richard.

So would we all.

Now, being of an inquisitive nature, I just called up James Purdey and had a very interesting conversation with Mr Nicholas Harlow, the archivist. If you can provide me with the serial number, there is a VERY good chance that he can tell you all about the gun, who it was made for and what materials were used in its construction and fitting.

He also advised me that load details might be found either on the inside of the patchbox, or on the toe of the iron butt-plate.

Or, if you wish, I can PM you with his email address and you can carry on the conversation yourself, without me being in the middle of it.

He is very keen to see images, BTW.

While we were talking, he mentioned in passing that Col Davidson of scope fame had Purdey fit the very first rifle with his famous and eponymous telescopic sight, and also, to my surprise, a pistol, too. Mr Harlow admitted that Mr Purdey had made a total hash of that one, though.

There is a very good book - the definitive volume - 'The Early Purdeys' written by Mr L Patrick Unsworth. Copies are rare and very pricey, but I'd imagine that that would not greatly bother anybody interested in collecting Purdeys :wink:

I look forward to hearing from you.

tac

Davidson was experimenting with telescope sights as early as 1832. His earliest experiments were with a Staudenmayer flintlock rifle.

I've seen pictures of a long barreled single shot percussion pistol, with skeleton shoulder stock, fitted with a Davidson scope - this from the family archive.

Davidson had corresponded with Purdey and ordered from him. He visited England in 1848 and saw Purdey several times.

David

Col. Batguano said:
Images enclosed of ramrods from English sxs Percussion guns
Feltwad

Ramrod types of worm

Back