• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Royal Navy Sea Service Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackAubrey

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Dear Friends,Recently, I was looking at Militaryheritage.com and found a RN Sea Service pistol in .62 calibre.It appears to be a Canadian company and to bypass restictions they sell the weapon with out the vent hole drilled thereby making it legally a non gun.it is my intention to bring it to a firing state.My question is:Has anyone had any dealings with this company and if so, what say ye to the quality of the arm?Would there be any information on the load data?I look forward to your relies.Best regards to all,J.A.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking about buying the same pistol myself actually, but from MVT here in the US. Problem is, I've been hearing some bad things about them because they're India made. Perhaps someone here can help the both of us. Middlesex trading village is the name of the place you'll probably here more about. Check their website if you can.

You can expect a lot of lock work to do. I just got in three MVT heavy Dragoons. None are shootable as is, unless you like a 30lb trigger pull. The frizzens do not close the pan off from loseing the prime. The lock parts are all ragged from the rough file used to shape them. The sear, and tumbler are shallow case hardened, and will not last as they are. The tumble noses are too long, hang up in the mainspring hook, and make cocking the guns nearly impossible, and things just go on from there. Fortunately, I knew all this, and expected to have to rebuild them, but everyone isn't capable of doing this. They are a fairly good buy for the money, but be prepared to do some serious lock work if you want them dependable, and want them to stay that way. Oh yeah, the hole in the lock plates for the tumbler are about 5/16". The tumbler shank is about 1/4". Just a tad bit sloppy.

Ah,Mr.Ellerbe,it is good you warned me.I was really hoping for something shootable from the box.Too bad ,really,it was attractive.You would'nt happen to know of anyone else who manufactures these,would you? Best regards,J.A.

Jack-- I looked into that Canadian company with the NO VENT hole offering. I would not buy from them for reasons sighted by others here on this thread.

Track Of The Wolf had a 62 Cal Royal Navy Sea Pistol made up by one of their gunsmiths but it is listed as sold today. Beautiful GUN! They may have others or some close to it. Also David Pedersoli co has some excellent and very shootable sea pistols. I bought a 58 cal Harper's Ferry and it functions flawlessly out of the box. Nice looking, too. But I am really particular about the stain and finish that I like. I like the old deep, dark red look with the grain fully filled so the gun is totally smooth... So, I refinished the wood on this Harper's Ferry by sanding it with steel wool then using Alkanet Root (Blood Red) stain with a couple thin layers of black walnut to get it really dark, and then about 20 hand rubbed layers of tung oil, with a final rub down with Pumice then Rotten Stone to get the right sheen----and the gun looks like it came out of a cabinet at the Old Iron Sides Museum in Boston. I brought it in to show it to some gun guys at work before and after and they could not get over the new authentic finish. It just takes effort and patience. yet 95% of the guys out there would be perfectly happy with the finish the Pedersoli guns come with. They function well out of the box and I think that is the major point for you, right?

Just google: david pedrsoli for a look at their website. It is easy to navigate or go to track of the wolf if you really want to start drooling :haha: :haha:
62 caliber Sea Pistols are very heavy and about as as close as you can get to a musket :grin:

That is a beautiful authentic-looking reproduction.

I will have to try to get my digital camera, some good lighting, and my refinished stock Harper Ferry together. We all know lighting and camera quality are key to sending quality photos of guns on the internet... a beautiful gun can look like manure with poor lighting alone.

Thanks for that photo though! She's a beaut!

I have to reiterate Mr. Ellerby's warning. I witnessed that same imperfections, but the pistol was a east Indian pattern pistol.

Thanks for all the imput,Gentlemen,I did some poking about and came upon a colonial gun works.They have a Pedersoli Queen Anne pistol kit for $200.00.I think thats where I will go although I was looking at the Harpers Ferry aswell.Mr.Zoar,please do post the pictures,I would very much like to see.Best regards to all,J.A.

Jack: If you get the Queen Anne, you will find the following link interesting.
When reading it, don't forget to follow the link in it about QUEEN ANNE IGNITION. It explains how to greatly improve the reliability of ignition in the gun. Queen Anne Link

An excellent post,Mr.Zonie,It appears,I say this post a few years back but had forgotten about it.Thank you for bringing it to my attention again.Best regards,J.A.

Jack Aubrey said:
Dear Friends,Recently, I was looking at Militaryheritage.com and found a RN Sea Service pistol in .62 calibre.It appears to be a Canadian company and to bypass restictions they sell the weapon with out the vent hole drilled thereby making it legally a non gun.it is my intention to bring it to a firing state.My question is:Has anyone had any dealings with this company and if so, what say ye to the quality of the arm?Would there be any information on the load data?I look forward to your relies.Best regards to all,J.A.

If this Canadian company is Loyalist Arms: I bought a Sea Service pistol from them a few years ago. It arrived quickly, and was a beautiful piece. The pistol came in one bexes, the lock in another. I have the mechanical aptitude of a turnip - I literally have a hard time replacing light bulbs - and it took me all of 30 seconds with a screwdriver to assemble it.

As to quality: I can't say. I'm trying to get some info and opinions about this myself. I fired it once with a soft blank charge,with no problems (I originally bought it more as a prop than a shooter), but would like to get some more info about the weapon before I fire a harder charge, or a projectile.

Anyone?

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
MilitaryHeritage of Canada and Loyalist Arms are NOT the same company.

I have the RN flint from MTV, I shot it as it came to me. I use 40gr. fffg Goex and a.603 ball with a patch. I bought a Lee .60 ball mould. I use a IPSIC target and tape an x on the target to represent crossed belts. At 20feet I can keep all the balls in the kill zone. I did buy a heart sight and epoxy it on the barrel.

Chuckpa--- sounds like a fun target. Yes shooting a big hand cannon at 20 feet is enjoyable. I like the x pattern to duplicate suspenders... :haha:

I find my respectable 58 cal shoots dead on with 35 grains. 40 grains and they wing off to the right at 15 yards which is where I often shoot from. I want to find a hunting load and while I prefer the added wooompf that 40 gr provides over the 35 gr, hitting to Point Of Aim is more important. So yeah I can stand there at 20-30 feet and usually put those .58 balls into a nice tight kill zone pattern... I like having a few targets setup at different angels and distances and then practice seeing how fast I can pick a target, pull up on it, then fire accurately. In the kill zone. A .62 caliber monster hand cannon would be a hoot and half to play this game with! :thumbsup:

Zoar
Thanks for the info on setting up targets at various distances. That sounds like a lot of fun.I also bought the dbl barrel .62 pistol from MTV but I haven't had a chance to give it a real work out.

Those double barrel Howdahs look like a great reason to but another gun. I have wanted one of those since I was a kid and saw a "jungle movie" in the 60's where someone used one to stop a lion charge. I've been looking at the 20 gauge smoothy barrels verses the rifled barrels (and of course the option to have one barrel of each on the same howdah). Dixie gunworks has them as well as a few other places. I need to see one in person I think before I commit. And, always really like hearing from those who have shot one. My feeling is it would be hard to shoot accurately. I realize they are more of a closerange stopper gun but I still want to know I can put both barrels where I want at 20-30 feet.

Capt.William ,Am I to understand that aside from the lock installation you did not encounter the problems Mr. Ellerbe experienced?Best regards,J.A.

Back