• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Roundies in Fowlers? (Historical)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there any HISTORICAL ACCOUNT OR RECORD of people shooting round balls out of smoothbore American fowlers? I know the Indian trade guns were used with round balls sometimes, but did Americans ever in history use round balls in their fowling pieces?

Please don’t tell me that you do it, I know you do and that is is certainly possible for it to be done today, which is rather obvious. What I am wanting to know is if we have any proof it was actually done in the 18th or early 19th century, or, did our ancestors strictly load their fowling pieces with shot and shot only? I ask this because I have never PERSONALLY come across a single account of this.

-Smokey

It is clear from history that balls would be loaded in smoothbores (also buck and ball). That really isn't in doubt. What many might not want to accept is, that they loaded them with wads... NOT patches. ;)

"I want a fowler.. but I mostly want to shoot patched round balls in it"..... :doh:

I am not a quote collector, so I don't have any quotes to give you, especially at 1:40 in the morning :D But I have read an ample number of references to loading balls and wadding.

Last edited:
It is clear from history that balls would be loaded in smoothbores (also buck and ball). That really isn't in doubt. What many might not want to accept is, that they loaded them with wads... NOT patches. ;)

"I want a fowler.. but I mostly want to shoot patched round balls in it"..... :doh:

I am not a quote collector, so I don't have any quotes to give you, especially at 1:40 in the morning :D But I have read an ample number of references to loading balls and wadding.

I have heard tow was used, among other things, but am not 100% sure on that.

When? We know it was done before 1847. Leather patches

Many times names of guns are irrelevant when necessity comes around. Fowler, trade gun, fusil, musket. When that’s the gun they had and it was time to hunt big game or fight men, they were loaded with round ball.
The question was very general and so, hard to answer. Almost any question using the term “ever” is answered in the affirmative.

On the other hand, if the question was, were high end British fowlers ever loaded with round ball on a lord’s grouse hunt, the answer would most likely be no. There are circumstances where the likelihood of fowlers being used with round ball was close to zero, and other cases where it was 100% happening (use of a fowler by militia).

When, where, and by whom would be most helpful in answering your question.

Back