• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Roundballs in a Sharps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made paper cartridges with round ball for the 59 sharps. I rolled them with a 54 cal fiber wad under the ball and about 60 grains of powder. Worked pretty good.

it would be slow but what about a dowel sized and cut to length with breech closed on it to seal rear of barrel [like a wooden cartridge,] ,load a patched round ball down muzzle [ with a ram rod] remove stopper, load loose or paper ' cartridge' of powder . seems that way you could use a lubed patch , proper size [?] ball. and have a good seal. less leading also. yes slow , but do our type rapid fire much??? :) anyone want to try it and report back?

Last edited:
it would be slow but what about a dowel sized and cut to length with breech closed on it to seal rear of barrel [like a wooden cartridge,] ,load a patched round ball down muzzle [ with a ram rod] remove stopper, load loose or paper ' cartridge' of powder . seems that way you could use a lubed patch , proper size [?] ball. and have a good seal. less leading also. yes slow , but do our type rapid fire much??? :) anyone want to try it and report back?
I'll pass on that, thanks.

It’s been years since I owned a sharps percussion rifle but I did occasionally use a round ball. Probably .454” and I seated them from the breech using a short starter. Then just add loose powder, cap and fire. It worked okay as I remember it. Very light recoil from a 9+ pound rifle.

Back