• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

roundball in smoothe.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive been shooting a .600 in my 20 gauge with a thin patch,but at a local TG match,the last two clangersI used a 570 paper patched cartridge, smacked em good and hard ,so yeah they work fine

Many Klatch said:
Try a .60 ball with a .010 spit patch. All the patching has to do is keep the ball from rattling as it goes down the barrel and act as a gas check. You should be able to start it with just your thumb. If you are using a short starter the load is too tight.
Have ever run a card over powder ,then a lubed felt wad...then the patch and ball pushed in with your thumb ? Gonna try that as soon as this 3 feet of snow melts a little.

ive used tow as a wad with a patched ball. just have to give it a try,they all seem to like different loads,Ive had at least 8 smoothebores and danged if they didnt all shoot differently

spudnut said:
Ive been shooting a .600 in my 20 gauge with a thin patch,but at a local TG match,the last two clangersI used a 570 paper patched cartridge, smacked em good and hard ,so yeah they work fine
correction a 560 roundball

Used to use a.575 in a paper cartridge lubed with Lehigh Valley lube. Got about a 4 in. group at 50 yds. and didn't get any resistance putting it down the barrel until after about 15 shots.

.600 RB with .010 patch....but a card goes on top of powder...then a felt wad...then ball and patch...can push the patched ball in the end of the Getz barrel with my thumb

Don’t over look that bare ball load, my 16 seems too
shot a bare ball better than a patched one.

I’m shooting a .648 ball in a .653 bore.

Hey fellas has anyone tried shooting a .570 roundball patched with pillow ticking out of there .62? How well did it perform?
Sort of. My 20 gauge french trade gun has a tight bore. I ordered a .600 mold when I finished building it but even with a thin patch it was tough to load. Before I found the .590 mold I use now, I tried .570 balls using denim patches cut from worn out levi jeans. That combo was quite accurate. The thicker patches carried plenty of lube so loading was easy. Pillow ticking wasn't thick enough for the .570 ball even in my undersized bore so if your bore is a true .62 caliber, I think you'll find pillow ticking gives you too loose a fit.

.600 RB with .18 pillow ticking in mine groups 3 to 3 1/2 inches at 50

Back