• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Roundball and bullet lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure.

You take one part of very warm melted beeswax, and two parts of very warm, cheapest, olive oil. Mix while very warm. Allow it to cool.

Sometimes it's expressed as beeswax to olive oil 1:2.... that's an old way of doing things, so is "parts".

So whatever amount that you start with, becomes your "standard" for this batch. So if you used 1/4 cup of melted very warm beeswax, you mix that with a half-cup (1/4 cup x 2) of very warm, cheapest olive oil.

If you increase the beeswax you get a much harder lube, and if you increase the olive oil you get a softer lube.

You can use melted shortening, melted lard, melted coconut oil, melted tallow for the "oil" portion.

LD

I ask this in another group but I would like to ask it here also. I am wanting to make patch lube, I have beeswax but I do not have tallow. Any recommendations from what has worked for you?
For competition and practice:
Ballistol 1 part mixed with 3 to 4
Parts water .
FOR Hunting: Minkoil from TOTW

I've made several batches of lube just using bee's wax and olive oil.
Really depends on temps as to what ratio. I use 50/50 when using it in temps from 60 to 85 degrees F (I just don't care to shoot when it's hotter). For around 35°F to 55°F I like 1/3 bee's wax to 2/3 olive oil. If it's going to be around 30°F or cooler I use 75% olive oil to 25% bee's wax. I store this last ratio in the fridge when not using.
I measure both out to the ratio I want. I put a pot of water on the stove and start it heating on medium low, only about a 1/2" of water in it. Then I put the olive oil and bee's wax into a smaller tin and put that in the water, double broiler method. I stir it until the bees wax is fully melted. Then pour into whatever container you want to store it in and let it cool.

I use the beeswax / olive oil combo myself. decided on it after reading that some of the 'light oil' the militaries in the 18th century were using on their arms was referring to olive oil. Like mentioned above, the ratio depends on the temperature. It can get too hard to use in the under and just a sludge in the summer. So I make seasonal blends.

@renegadehunter 's formulas are pretty much spot on! I do use a 60/40 wax/oil for the summer though as it gets quite warm here in the summer (Florida)

I use the beeswax / olive oil combo myself. decided on it after reading that some of the 'light oil' the militaries in the 18th century were using on their arms was referring to olive oil. Like mentioned above, the ratio depends on the temperature. It can get too hard to use in the under and just a sludge in the summer. So I make seasonal blends.

@renegadehunter 's formulas are pretty much spot on! I do use a 60/40 wax/oil for the summer though as it gets quite warm here in the summer (Florida)

Whereabouts are you in Florida? I'm in the NE, any chance you are nearby?

Thanks for asking, I'm in Western NC. Summer temps can hit the upper 90-100 and winter temps can dip to 0. These are extremes but avg is 85-20 Fahrenheit.

I was asking another user who said he was in Florida haha sorry. Trying to find people close to me so I can learn more.

The real question is does patch lube make a difference in accuracy? With so many different people using different lubes my guess is NO. Am I correct ?

Back