• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundball accuracy after jug choking?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli trade gun that I intend to use hunting birds and would still like to be able to use it for big game one of these days. Currently, it is fairly accurate with ball and good with lead shot. But bismuth shot is terrible. As somebody pointed out here on this forum, the bismuth pellets aren't very round and are brittle. Whatever the reason, they scatter far wider than lead shot. And here, it's bismuth or nothing when hunting.

So I'm contemplating getting it jug choked to modified or something of that nature. It would be nice to tighten up that pattern some. But I don't want to give up the accuracy I get shooting roundball. If I jug choked it, am I likely to see a degradation of accuracy on roundball? Or is that a non-issue?

The most accurate muzzleloading rifles ever made had choked bores: still do.
He's talking about a smoothbore with a jug choke, not a rifle with lands and grooves. I've got a choked smooth rifle that the barrel maker says not to shoot balls, extreme choke is intended for shot only.

He's talking about a smoothbore with a jug choke, not a rifle with lands and grooves. I've got a choked smooth rifle that the barrel maker says not to shoot balls, extreme choke is intended for shot only.
I'm assuming you're talking about a jug choked turkey barrel. Those are the only ones I've ever heard of being said to not be okay to shoot roundballs out of. The o.p. isn't talking of going that tight.

Can you tell us what make barrel and if it is a "turkey choke" or what choke it is? Is it jug choked or a constriction choke?

I have a Pedersoli trade gun that I intend to use hunting birds and would still like to be able to use it for big game one of these days. Currently, it is fairly accurate with ball and good with lead shot. But bismuth shot is terrible. As somebody pointed out here on this forum, the bismuth pellets aren't very round and are brittle. Whatever the reason, they scatter far wider than lead shot. And here, it's bismuth or nothing when hunting.

So I'm contemplating getting it jug choked to modified or something of that nature. It would be nice to tighten up that pattern some. But I don't want to give up the accuracy I get shooting roundball. If I jug choked it, am I likely to see a degradation of accuracy on roundball? Or is that a non-issue?
If just a moderate choke, between improved cylinder, modified or full,,, you should be fine. There are a few guys here who have jug choked smoothbores that have great success with roundball out of them.
You will probably just have to adjust your load a little bit.

I'm assuming you're talking about a jug choked turkey barrel. Those are the only ones I've ever heard of being said to not be okay to shoot roundballs out of. The o.p. isn't talking of going that tight.

Can you tell us what make barrel and if it is a "turkey choke" or what choke it is? Is it jug choked or a constriction choke?
My post was directed toward Uncle Miltie and his statement regarding a choked rifles accuracy, not the o.p.'s original question in reference to a smoothbore being jug choked and still maintaining roundball accuracy. In relation to rifles, I'm sure Uncle Miltie wasn't referring to jug choking a rifle. My choked barrel is just an example of a choked barrel that the manufacturer stated shot only. The barrel is a Colerain turkey barrel, 20 ga constriction choked to 24 ga, and Colerain says not designed to shoot a roundball due to the tight constriction, shot only.

My post was directed toward Uncle Miltie and his statement regarding a choked rifles accuracy, not the o.p.'s original question in reference to a smoothbore being jug choked and still maintaining roundball accuracy. In relation to rifles, I'm sure Uncle Miltie wasn't referring to jug choking a rifle. My choked barrel is just an example of a choked barrel that the manufacturer stated shot only. The barrel is a Colerain turkey barrel, 20 ga constriction choked to 24 ga, and Colerain says not designed to shoot a roundball due to the tight constriction, shot only.
That's about what I figured.
I just didn't want the o.p. to get confused between your extra full constriction choke and a jug choke.
I do hear those barrels produce some great patterns for turkey hunting. Any luck doing anything to open the pattern up so the gun is more useful for other game?

That's about what I figured.
I just didn't want the o.p. to get confused between your extra full constriction choke and a jug choke.
I do hear those barrels produce some great patterns for turkey hunting. Any luck doing anything to open the pattern up so the gun is more useful for other game?
Yes Sir, thanks for asking. I'm not a turkey hunter and intend on using it for other game, such as squirrels and rabbits, and maybe a late night coon or possum hunt. I tried a traditional stacked load, i.e. powder, card, wad, shot and card, and at 20-25 yds, and it was about an 18" to 20" pattern. It is difficult to load the cards for a fast reload in the field and I wouldn't want to have to deal with it if squirrel hunting. I played around with wasp nest, and it seems ideal, plus it really opens up the pattern, I would say about what you would expect from a modified choke at 20 to 25 yds. I also tried some wads punched from scraps of thick 3/4" black saddle pad wool felt which is soft and loads easy. Both had about the same results. Any thing soft like the wasp or soft felt can be loaded with just a plain 3/8" ramrod, and packs well. No cards were used, just wadding over powder and wadding over shot. I imagine tow or similar would work the same. I'll try and shoot some photos this weekend and get back with you. Here's a photo of the saddle pad felt.
IMG_20221006_160738_860.jpg

All my smoothbores are jug choked. I wont have one without a jug choke. They simply shoot pretty round patterns an a jug choke will not affect accuracy of round ball. Below is my turkey gun with patched ball. 12 ga with 32 inch colerain oct to round an jug choked by Danny Caywood

The shot is a mix of 4s and 2s that im playing with at 30 yrds. I have not had time to shoot any farther with this particular load yet but I plan too. Im liking the results im getting with this mix so far

A choke would help. But you could try the plastic sleeves like “power pistons” for example. I use them with my old .69 cal smoothbore when out dove hunting. It would help protect the bismouth shot from being damaged when fired. Plus it keeps the shop pattern together better too. Maybe both with a jug choke and power pistons.

The most accurate muzzleloading rifles ever made had choked bores: still do.
Correct. Sometimes they are called tapered bore rifles in old references.

Jug choking is a tad different. The smooth bore barrel wall is opened on the inside by just a few thousands of an inch a few inches short of the muzzle, and then the barrel returns to normal diameter. This acts then as a "choke" when the shot column reaches it.

LD

All my smoothbores are jug choked. I wont have one without a jug choke. They simply shoot pretty round patterns an a jug choke will not affect accuracy of round ball. Below is my turkey gun with patched ball. 12 ga with 32 inch colerain oct to round an jug choked by Danny Caywood

The shot is a mix of 4s and 2s that im playing with at 30 yrds. I have not had time to shoot any farther with this particular load yet but I plan too. Im liking the results im getting with this mix so far
What amount of choke does Caywood estimate this barrel to be jug choked to?

I'm seriously considering having one of my smoothbores jug choked.

What amount of choke does Caywood estimate this barrel to be jug choked to?

I'm seriously considering having one of my smoothbores jug choked.
I dont know the measurements of the amount he puts in it and I have no way of measuring it but I told him that I like shooting larger shot sizes. That must have some bearing on how much he puts into it but im just guessing this. He asked what shot size I shoot most often and the type game I hunt the most with said gun. Danny has done 4 barrels for me so far and it drastically improved the shot patterns of them all. I highly recommend jug choking for smoothbores and Dannys work. And he has never taken over a week or so to do the work

I dont know the measurements of the amount he puts in it and I have no way of measuring it but I told him that I like shooting larger shot sizes. That must have some bearing on how much he puts into it but im just guessing this. He asked what shot size I shoot most often and the type game I hunt the most with said gun. Danny has done 4 barrels for me so far and it drastically improved the shot patterns of them all. I highly recommend jug choking for smoothbores and Dannys work. And he has never taken over a week or so to do the work
Thanks. I wasn't sure if you had asked for it to pattern like a modified, or full, etc.
I've heard that some people that do the work won't work on barrels that already have the tenons already attached, is that the case with Caywood?

Thanks. I wasn't sure if you had asked for it to pattern like a modified, or full, etc.
I've heard that some people that do the work won't work on barrels that already have the tenons already attached, is that the case with Caywood?
2 of the barrels was new and 2 already was in a finished gun with the tenons attached. I have no idea if he removed the tenons or not but when I got the barrels back they didnt look as if they had been removed

Latest posts

Back