• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

round balls don't do well

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T
I have been fighting with ball and patch in my 1:48 50 cal hawken, got to a good patch and lube but it does not shoot well at 100 yds. With a .495 ball and a .024 denim patch TOW mink oil lube at 48 yards I get a 2 1/2" grouping, but out at 100 it will spray in an 8" circle. Starting at 60 gr 3f all the way to 95 gr. raises the poi but still has a very good group at 48 but a big spread at 100. This patch n lube did the best at 48, but has no better pattern at 100. I wonder if a .490 would be better, has any one found an improvement with the smaller ball. (my bore is .500 .517 in the lands by slugging the bbl.
coupe
The twist in the barrel is too fast for roundballs using heavy charges. Back off to 50 gr. and see if there's any improvement.

The twist in the barrel is too fast for roundballs using heavy charges. Back off to 50 gr. and see if there's any improvement.

I shot and hunted exclusively with a TC Hawken 50 cal for a bunch of years. Loaded as high as 90 grains with accuracy. Will also say that I settled on 70 grains when I found that it was deadly enough. Same story with a TC 54 that was a tack driver with 80 grains. That rifle shot a third place in a match with 219 entries.

All that just to say that there's something going on other than the twist rate.

Where can I find this information
Here you go Bushfire.

I not sure about the rules for placing links on here, so I'll try a cautionary approach, and send the link via PM.

Pete

Pedersoli.jpg

I shot and hunted exclusively with a TC Hawken 50 cal for a bunch of years. Loaded as high as 90 grains with accuracy. Will also say that I settled on 70 grains when I found that it was deadly enough. Same story with a TC 54 that was a tack driver with 80 grains. That rifle shot a third place in a match with 219 entries.

Even though there can be general rules for what does and doesn’t work, every rifle is a law unto itself.

I have been fighting with ball and patch in my 1:48 50 cal hawken, got to a good patch and lube but it does not shoot well at 100 yds. With a .495 ball and a .024 denim patch TOW mink oil lube at 48 yards I get a 2 1/2" grouping, but out at 100 it will spray in an 8" circle. Starting at 60 gr 3f all the way to 95 gr. raises the poi but still has a very good group at 48 but a big spread at 100. This patch n lube did the best at 48, but has no better pattern at 100. I wonder if a .490 would be better, has any one found an improvement with the smaller ball. (my bore is .500 .517 in the lands by slugging the bbl.
coupe

If you ae getting 2 1/2" at 50, that means you should be getting a 5" group at 100. Spreading to 8" could be a technique problem.

Try placing the very end of the stock on the sand bag and see what that does. Normally rifles will shoot better with the end of the stock on the bag versus in the middle of the stock.

Also try placing very light cheek pressure on the stock. This is what most bench shooters use.

Have you blackened your front and rear sights?

Last edited:

Not necessarily, after all Green Mountain Barrel Co. made lots of money selling drop in barrels with a slow twist for TC rifles, designed to shoot round balls.

Where can I find this information
It's on the Pedersoli website. Under the technical specifications. There is a bullet code listed for the rifle. It's for their round ball, and it's also the same for their "target Jaeger" which has a 1:65 twist rate.

Pedersoli Jaeger

LD

Not necessarily, after all Green Mountain Barrel Co. made lots of money selling drop in barrels with a slow twist for TC rifles, designed to shoot round balls.

Yes, they certainly did. I added a gm drop in 54 but only to upgrade the caliber.

I think many many 1:48 guns are sold off or relegated to a corner of the closet because they just won't shoot. Convicted of "failure to group" based on circumstantial evidence and hearsay. Insufficient evidence and deserve a new trial. 😀

😂😂 gotta love it when they say the 1:48 twist is too fast for round balls.

What did you use for a charge.2 mi
😂😂 gotta love it when they say the 1:48 twist is too fast for round balls.

I didn't say they wouldn't shoot roundballs. I said they don't do well with heavy charges. Fast twist barrels are designed to shoot long bearing surface bullets. Heavy charges and roundballs don't work very well in fast twist rifle barrels. Gotta love it when people can't read the post🤣🤣🤣

Another example. First, many don't realize that the earlier Lyman GPRs had a 1:48 twist. I had one and measured the twist when I read it somewhere.

Since I didn't know any better, I shot a 530 ball and 110 grains of Goex ff for elk hunting. Worked just fine.

I didn't say they wouldn't shoot roundballs. I said they don't do well with heavy charges. Fast twist barrels are designed to shoot long bearing surface bullets. Heavy charges and roundballs don't work very well in fast twist rifle barrels. Gotta love it when people can't read the post🤣🤣🤣
80gr 2fg.

That rifle shot under 2" at 100 with 110gr 2fg.

I have had the same experiences as you. All the .50 cal. rifles with 1:48 twist rifling that I have shot all performed best with 60 grains of powder when using a round ball. As soon as I started increasing the charge accuracy started to wain. Why some people say they can shoot 90 plus grains may be their idea of accuracy isn't as tight as some others will accept?

I have had the same experiences as you. All the .50 cal. rifles with 1:48 twist rifling that I have shot all performed best with 60 grains of powder when using a round ball. As soon as I started increasing the charge accuracy started to wain. Why some people say they can shoot 90 plus grains may be their idea of accuracy isn't as tight as some others will accept?
Or maybe your rifle or skills are lacking?

My traditions st.louis hawken 54 prints soft ball sized groups at 200 yards with 90gr 3fg. Not too shabby with open sights.

Even the original 50cal barrel did awesome with 110fr 2fg.

Latest posts

Back