• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Round Ball with a belly?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have you ever seen a round ball with a belly, or a keel?

In a hurry I bought these on ebay last summer. Just now got around to using them, and noticed the weird shape. The sprue is exactly opposite the keel.

I thought it might be a wonky mold, but they're all too perfect. Seems like they might be on purpose.

Are keeled round balls an actual thing?

They shoot as well as my eyes do, so I'll go ahead and use them up.

20200308_174722.jpg

20200308_174710.jpg

20200308_165307.jpg

Looks to me like a mold cavity problem. If exactly opposite the sprue they should be "balanced" if you load sprue out

I'd say it's a defective mold. I think that this makes the case for a properly tuned rifle, right patch, right load and good marksmanship. I think this proves we sometimes are way over thinking these old front stuffers. Good shooting.

I like that last sentence "They shoot as well as my eyes do, so I'll go ahead and use them up." That sums up my philosophy. I'm not one who strives for real great accuracy. If the gun goes bang and the gong makes some noise , heck I'm happy..

I like that last sentence "They shoot as well as my eyes do, so I'll go ahead and use them up." That sums up my philosophy. I'm not one who strives for real great accuracy. If the gun goes bang and the gong makes some noise , heck I'm happy..

I used to take great pride in accuracy.
It frustrating. I started with a Lyman Great Plains 25yrs ago.

That group in the picture is 50yds of the hood of the truck. (new .58 flint lock plains rifle)

I used be able to do that at a 100yds with my gpr, in .50 perc.

and a .54 gpr flinter. (off a rest)

now I can barley put the front sight and point of aim in focus at 50yds.
The light has to be right. lol

Life's about change, what are you going to do.

Finally, I can add some odd info about something!
I had a buddy, very old dear friend (RIP) and he was of the ol' school way of doing things. He actually drilled one of his molds with a slight bubble/belly/bump as you will, as William Sublette
has. He only used them with his revolvers and seated the "belly" up-side to seal, as he said, to discourage chain fires.
This is his thinking not mine.

The more I think about it, it has to be on purpose.

Like was said above a mold that didn't close properly would leave a thin fin of lead where it leaked.

I went back in my purchase history on ebay to contact the seller and see what he knew about the mold, but going through his site, it looked like mostly all stuff that he was reselling from storage wars. And no more round balls for sale. So I'm betting they came out of a storage unit somewhere.

To cast a ball like that the mold would have to be machined that way.

Someone was experimenting or something. Maybe they weren't even for muzzle loading. They are harder than hornady swaged, but not too much. They still deform with the short starter.

It sucks that they shoot nice, and probably cant find anymore.

Every time you hit a gong it is a 10X.

Maybe you could share some pics of the mold itself. It certainly doesn't seem to be a problem out of your rifle.

Back