• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

round ball velocities for r/b in springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

can anybody tell me what kind of velocities to expect from an 1861 springfield, shooting a .570 round ball behind 60 gr. of either black powder or pyrodex. (dont like the idea of using pyrodex but its all i can get right now). keep yer head down! rebslayer...

I am showing this data for you:

58 caliber (.570 round ball)
.010 pillow tick patch
Crisco lube
G-O Black Powder FFg

(40 inch barrel length)
60 grains FFg..... 1274 fps.... 1012Ft/lbs.

I am also showing the same load using a Zouave, (32 & 26 inch barrel) just to have something to compare with...

(32 inch barrel length)
60 grains FFg..... 1030 fps.... 612 Ft/lbs.

(26 inch barrel length)
60 grains FFg..... 847 fps.... 414 Ft/lbs.

I hope this helps.

The "LYMAN Black powder handbook" has ballistic tables at the end, very handy? I Use them to test my home made powders against Geox powder reference. On the Net too, you can download little shareware ballistic programs like "Ballistix" or "Balltraj". I get velocities of 1600ft/s with 63g of homebrew which compare with Geox. This is an optimum load for power/accuracy ratio. (50cal, patched RB, 33" barrel)

Latest posts

Back