• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Round Ball Test Pack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas.bill92

40 Cal
Reaction score
So before I go any buy a mold only to find that the size I chose doesn't shoot well, does anyone know where I could buy a "test pack" of round balls? I'm thinking like 5 or 10 balls in varying diameters for a given caliber (.62 smoothbore in my case) to find which one groups the best. Now I know there are a lot of variables with patches and powder charge so if anyone had a better way of going about this, I'm all ears. My original plan was to just go with .600" and change the patch/powder combo until I achieved my best results but I know there are different ways to go about this.

I think Sam Squanch is on to something. Maybe you could first ask around to find out what diameters folks with a barrel from the same maker (say, a Caywood .62 smoothbore, for example) have had success with, then hit TOTW and buy a hundred in each diameter for testing purposes. That way you can av oid having 3 moulds in different diameters in order to find what works for you and the way you want to load.

I'd say buy several diameters of balls and once you find what you want and get a mold, can melt the others into new sizes. Or buy several molds and sell what you don't end up using.

Track sells all sorts of .62 ball. They are in twenty five to the bag.
So when you find your ball you can melt the lead, expensive that way
But wait
A .610 May be your best bare ball, a 600 patched, nice to hint with. A 595 good at the range, easy to load when you’re shooting a dozen or more. . A .575 makes great paper cartridges…. So no ball need be wasted

I think y'all misread my post, I am looking for a test pack of round balls. I don't want to spend $75 on a couple hundred round balls, I'm hoping to find a "test pack" of round balls that has like 10 balls in each of varying diameters for a given caliber.

I would call and ask TOW if they could put together something for you like you're looking for. They have all different diameters available, and I'm betting they'd be able to sell you a test bag. They would understand what you're trying to do. Couldn't hurt to call and ask. I would.

But first, have you measured your bore with a set of dial calipers to be sure of an absolute diameter?

I would call and ask TOW if they could put together something for you like you're looking for. They have all different diameters available, and I'm betting they'd be able to sell you a test bag. They would understand what you're trying to do. Couldn't hurt to call and ask. I would.

But first, have you measured your bore with a set of dial calipers to be sure of an absolute diameter?
Still being built! Hoping to have it by early June.

I think y'all misread my post, I am looking for a test pack of round balls. I don't want to spend $75 on a couple hundred round balls, I'm hoping to find a "test pack" of round balls that has like 10 balls in each of varying diameters for a given caliber.
I bet, if you beg nice someone here will send you a pack at no cost or just shipping. I don't believe what you are asking for is available commercially. Besides, it is sometimes said 'ye ain't a muzzle loader until you have about a dozen unused moulds in yer kit.' 😉

I think Sam Squanch is on to something. Maybe you could first ask around to find out what diameters folks with a barrel from the same maker (say, a Caywood .62 smoothbore, for example) have had success with, then hit TOTW and buy a hundred in each diameter for testing purposes. That way you can av oid having 3 moulds in different diameters in order to find what works for you and the way you want to load.
Spot on mave a test kit 5 each varying diameter that'd ne great

That would be a real good product for Track el al to come up with. They could make one for most sizes.
Howsomever one patch and ball size on one powder charge may be real good, but leaves you wondering if it’s the best.
Say a .440 in a .45 with a fifty grain three f charge and .18 patch. But you started three shot group with 40, then 45,then 50, that’s nine ball right there. Then the question of .15 or .20, but wait what about a .445 same charge? Does moose milk work as good as mink oil, how’s it do with spit
Ball especially big ones are pretty expensive if you’re not going to use them.
On the other hand I’ve tried so many in so many different ways

I think you are way "undershooting" the number of rounds you need to get a good idea of how a load shoots. With my new.54 two years ago, I easily shot up a 100 shooting for an initial powder wt, then start playing with the patches....For about 12 bucks a hundred, it isnt a big investment. then you start monkeying with different lubes, etc. a starter pack doesnt get you very far.
I have a .45 flinter I will be building next winter, and am starting now getting its "bag" together. I am happy to start with a common ball size, I have several patch thicknesses already, then adjust the powder....plenty to keep me busy. If I am not happy with what I am doing...I will pick up another ball size.

What I've seen in shooting round ball in smoothbores over the (entirely too many) years is that if you want maximum accuracy you need to work with the load a fair amount. A five shot group tells you little more than that the gun has gone off; you need multiple ten-shot groups shot on different days in order to see how consistent your load is performing for you. The fewer the number of shots, the less-likely it is that you will see the inevitable flyers.

I need the same kit for a 62 rifle I’m going to build this fall, I’ll split some balls with you. I’d be fine with 12-15 balls of each size to get in the ballpark and refine from there. 25 wouldn’t hurt anything. I am looking at .600-.615” range. Don’t want to mess with patches heavy enough to shoot balls smaller than .600“ or patches thin enough to shoot anything bigger than .615”. Let me know if you’re interested.

Latest posts

Back