• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Ball Size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, in mine I use .490 with .010" patches. Sometimes 50 grains of Swiss N°2 (3Fg), 50 grains of French PNF1 (3Fg), or also 50 grains (in volume) of T7 3Fg...
It's just for target shooting because Black powder hunting in Macronia is forbidden.... :(

T/C usually has .006 depth difference between the lands and grooves of the rifling. Estimate a .50 bore and the grooves will be .5006. A .010 thick patch will work well with either the .490 or the .495 round ball. Or, if you want a tighter fit use a .015 thick patch with whatever type of choice of lubricant.

Last edited:
Well, in mine I use .490 with .010" patches. Sometimes 50 grains of Swiss N°2 (3Fg), 50 grains of French PNF1 (3Fg), or also 50 grains (in volume) of T7 3Fg...
It's just for target shooting because Black powder hunting in Macronia is forbidden.... :(
Is all muzzleloader hunting forbidden, or just the use of black powder?

I tried using 0.15 patches and a 0.490 ball in my TC 50 cal last week and it did not work well. I could barely load it on my second shot. You might have better luck with it, but I would recommend bringing 0.10 patches with you as well.

I have always used the general rule of thumb to start with a ball .010 under bore diameter (.490” in your case) and patch material that when compressed fills the windage between the ball and bore (.010”/2 or .005”) plus the depth of rifling (.005/.006” in most TCs). Your .015” material when compressed should work, but you will not know how well until try it. A lot of folks like the .495” diameter ball, but if I had to pick only one size to start with, .490” would be it, while adjusting patch thickness to get the fit that worked best. I would suggest staying away from pre-lubed patch material as the lube tends to break down the material over time.

Thanks for the info. What lube do you use on the patches?
I will use mink oil for hunting, though at the range many find spit or moose milk works fine. I find for hunting spit can dry out and moose milk may contaminate your powder charge. You will likely find as many lube recommendations as the number of shooters you ask.

You should be able to use the 0.490" ball and the 0.015" patches. It will be a tight load and a short starter is beneficial to get the ball and patch loaded. I prefer to use unlubricated patches. I cut strips of fabric at the muzzle. To start out though the unlubricated patches are fine. Now as for patch lubrication, prepare for about 16,000 possible answers and all of them are the best patch lube anyone can want. I'll start with a good lubricant for going to the range for load development. There are several that you probably have in the kitchen. The cheapest is a mix of dish washing soap and water. About half and half makes for a nice slick lubricant to dampen the patch to soften the fouling and can be used mixed with more water for cleaning.

Hopefully you have a volumetric powder measure. While grains are weight, black powder is measured by the volume equivalent of that weight. The safe substitutes for black powder are measured by volume to have same performance as that weight / volume of real black powder. A working rod with a brass cleaning jag (steel threads) and muzzle protector are very useful for loading at the range and for cleaning. Most ramrods that come with the rifle are not adequate for the stress that is often applied to the rod during cleaning.

I am new to the percussion world. I just bought a TC 50 cal Hawken. What size round ball mould do I need? I plan on making my own and shooting round balls and patches. I know it seems like a dumb question, but I am great at asking them.
I use Lehigh Valley, never liked bore butter. Loads easier, cleans easier and do not need to swab between shots.

I have some .015 patches so I am guessing a .490 round ball will work. Unless I need thinner patches.
You've gotten good info already. I would definitely go with the .490 balls with your .015 patches. But get some .010 and .020 to try. I'd suggest trying .018 pillow ticking too. It will take a few range sessions to determine which combo your gun likes best. But don't try multiple changes. First work on a good load with your .015 patches. Decide on a patch lube and stick with that while your trying different patches. After that you can try some other patches. Then you can try other lubes. And there's alway overpowder wads to try too. It's what keeps this interesting, your only limited by interest and time in refining what you consider to be the best load. All part of the fun.

I use a .490 ball and .018” patches in my Hawken and Renegade. .015” patch doubles the group size and .010” are a complete waste of time.
Every rifle is different, but I can say with certainty that TC’s shoot best with a tight patch.

What are the best web sites to buy supplies from?
I've always had good service from Track of the Wolf. Another one would be a local Mom and Pop called Muzzleloader and More for me. Try some searches and see what local resources you have to help save on shipping costs.

Back