• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball size for .720 cylinder bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rfp10000

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a newer Pedersoli Coach gun sxs . I wanted to try round balls without patch, just an overshot card. It’s .720 cylinder bore according to Pedersoli. Can you recommend a size ball to use?

I have a TC New Englander 12 gauge smooth bore and the bore measures .735 before the choke tube.

I use a .690 ball with a .020 ticking patch and it shoots pretty good at 50 yards. I do install a cylinder bore choke tube when shooting round ball. This loads very easy even after a few shots.

If it's a cylinder, measure the bore diameter with a set of calipers before settling on a ball size. Usually .715 is good if shooting with just ball and wad, but it will get tight if the bore begins to foul. I've also used a .690 with a heavy denim patch, and that shoots well. But the bore size as listed in the spec sheet is a nominal number, and sometimes you get an actual diameter that is a little different on the particular gun you buy.

the bore size as listed in the spec sheet is a nominal number, and sometimes you get an actual diameter that is a little different on the particular gun you buy
Good call … using digital calipers I got more like .715 on the cylinder bore barrels so the .715 balls I tried were understandably tight … some dropped down fine but others did not seem to fit. I did not push it because I felt there was no need to end up with a stuck ball thread😀
It seems the .690 would be better for this gun if I want to try this m.

I am really only trying a round ball in the shotgun to see how it works and didn’t intend patching it but just wanted to try something with a relatively close fit that wouldn’t get stuck using nitro card , cushion wad and over powder card.

I use a .715 in my .72 Potsdam. Can get about 12 shots off before I have trouble loading. I dip them trice in 50/50 beeswax crisco . 55 gr or 69 gr 2ffg give me the same group size. Point of aim is a little different. Haven’t tried 3fffg yet. Will sometime this spring. A few guys i know have gone to the 3fffg from 2ffg w reduced load.

I use a .685 ball paper cartridge in my .72 caliber Charleville, same as a Brown Bess cartridge.
Thanks … when I actually measured the nominal cylinder bore of .720 it turned out to be .715. Thus the .715 balls I bought were indeed too tight for a reason. Some would Drop in & others would get stuck a bit an inch or so down. I didn’t want to enter the stuck ball thread crowd so I figure a .690 would probably be what I’d want … I’ve just been sticking with shot and actually played with wax slugs a bit which did work but I didn’t pursue it ..

Play with it a bit. Patching a round ball may have been unknown before the 1840s but a patched .690 or smaller May work well for you.
Look up ‘chewed balls’ some folks get great results.
In my .62 I’ve shot .575 in a paper cartridge that gave deer accuracy out to fifty yards.
Also think big. A .700 or .690 with a larger powder charge May do wonders for you with bare ball and just a wad on top
Smoothies are forgiving of what you feed them. And you may find several ‘best loads’
Many of us find a smoothie will print two holes within an inch and the third shot wild, I can’t explain it, but see it often, and I wipe between shots
Try a lot before you settle

Don’t know about unpatched, but I shot my CVA SXS 12 bore last weekend with patched .690 balls. I did not do an exhaustive session, but a load of a .690 ball, patched with .020 (thickest patch I had) over a home made Durafelt greased wad and a thin over powder card propelled by 80 grains Pyrodex RS shows great promise. I would like to try some larger balls, but may try some thicker patch material first. Although to be honest, the above load probably shoots “better than I can”.

Latest posts

Back