• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Round Ball & Patch Sizes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been a naughty inline muzzie rifle shooter off & on for a couple years.

Now I want to get a black powder handgun, or two actually, purely for fun. I intend to order both a Pedersoli Continental flintlock in .45 and a .31 cal Uberti revolver (percussion obviously).

Where I'm a bit stuck is the ammo and patches. There are all kinds of slightly different size balls and patches in both cals. Can someone tell me what is best for both these guns?

Secondly, on powder, I was planning on going with Goex FFFFg all around (I have only Blackhorn 209 on hand now). I know I need FFFg for the pan of the flintlock. The revolver eats only 10 grains per shot (!) and I've read of people using fine powder. For the flintlock main charge, is 4Fs Ok? (I don't really understand the "advantage" of coarser grained powder.)

Thanks!

Generally in a .45 4f would be too hot. Three would most likely serve you better.
A .440 and a .015 patch should serve well. But you can experiment get some .445 and thinner patch. Or thicker and .435 or .430.
your .31 might do real well with a charge of four f.
In your .45 it’s a tough load to go too tight in a short gun.

Oh so finer powder shoots hotter. That makes sense: More surface area exposed.

And I guess there's little harm in buying different sizes of balls & patches since they are quite cheap.

(I have bought all my previous Muzzie stuff from Cabela's, but Midway seems to have better selection for ammo - and Cabela's in-stock function hasn't been working for days now.)

Your Pedersoli Continental flintlock in .45 caliber will use a .440 diameter patched with a cotton cloth patch that is .010 to .015 thick. I recommend the .010 thickness.
The ball is smaller than the bore to make room for the cloth patch.

Your .31 caliber cap & ball pistol will use a .320 or .321 diameter lead ball.
The ball is larger than the bore size so it can engage the rifling when it is shot and to make a tight seal with the chambers in the cylinder after it is loaded.

Since you are new to flintlocks and percussion revolvers I would recommend a couple YouTube channels you should check out that will help you get started and won't steer you wrong.

1. Duelist1954 ( flintlock and cap and ball revolver playlist)

2. Black Powder TV (has a very good new shooters series playlist)

3. Blackie Thomas (percussion revolver series playlist)

Back