• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball or slug lyman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if the English x Portuguese translator is as good as the Portuguese x English translator, I am unconcerned about understanding.

yes...I noticed that the historical question has the greatest relevance.
but as a smooth barrel has impaired accuracy, perhaps a better solution at hunting time would be welcome.
At what distances are you taking shots when hunting? Round ball has worked, and worked well, for hundreds of years when the hunter has done his/her part,,,, before pulling the trigger, and this includes with smoothbore guns.

At what distances are you taking shots when hunting? Round ball has worked, and worked well, for hundreds of years when the hunter has done his/her part,,,, before pulling the trigger, and this includes with smoothbore guns.
It is the eternal quest to do more and better with the same equipment.
It is the perfection of art.
When the hunter does his part, even a slingshot will do.

Doesn't really answer my question, but okay.
Not sure what the hunting situation is like in Brazil. Game, terrain, methods?
sorry... I'll be more clear.
Hunting in Brazil is prohibited (yes, it's absurd!) and the only thing allowed is wild boar hunting, as it is invasive and causes many environmental and agricultural problems, mainly corn and soybeans.
so this hunt is in soy fields or in thick forest.
Shooting in Brazil is essentially sporting... stick to paper!
So since we don't have much to do with our weapons... let's play with improving our aim.
Did I answer better?

sorry... I'll be more clear.
Hunting in Brazil is prohibited (yes, it's absurd!) and the only thing allowed is wild boar hunting, as it is invasive and causes many environmental and agricultural problems, mainly corn and soybeans.
so this hunt is in soy fields or in thick forest.
Shooting in Brazil is essentially sporting... stick to paper!
So since we don't have much to do with our weapons... let's play with improving our aim.
Did I answer better?
Very interesting. Thank you.

I do think a slug like that would put quite a hurt on a wild pig at close range with the right powder charge, I'm not sure it would improve accuracy very much, if at all.

The reason you do not see them here on this forum is because it is a "modern" projectile. Meaning it requires a plastic sabot, which is a regular AA shotgun wad. Sabots and plastic wads are not real popular with the historically correct, or more traditional crowd.

That being said, a 525gr shuttlecock slug, like you have pictured, in a modified AA wad fits the bore in my 12g flintlock canoe gun just perfect.

I have shot a few, but not enough, or side by side with a round ball to speak on the accuracy. Just the loading really.

Back