Round ball mold by T/C

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

11th corps

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Were these made by Lyman? Or did T/C actually manufacture them?
013.jpg
014.jpg

necchi

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The TC blocks are aluminum.
To my knowledge, Lyman blocks are steel.
To my memory, I've not heard stories of TC running a foundry capable of casting their own aluminum. Or casting any of their own steel parts for rifle assembly.
TC was basically a milling and assembly operation. (steel and wood)

Interesting question 11th corps. 👍
I never really thought about who supplied TC with raw components. :dunno:
I look forward to other's answers,

Last edited:

Maven

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The blocks and sprue cutter design strongly suggest Ohaus, Sharon, or Green Mountain. However, the Green Mountain version may have been made by Ohaus. Btw, I purchased a NIB one that said Green Mountain, but it was identical to an Ohaus one I had except it was for .50cal., not .490".

11th corps

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It is an aluminum mold. At least a magnet does not stick to it.
I cast some balls with it today. They were well formed but did have large sprues. This mold belonged to my Dad, and It appears it has never been used. I also have a T/C mold -maxi ball. It is steel, and clearly marked as Lyman. It also is in an original T/C box.

necchi

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Be sure to use a little "anti-seize" type lube on the hinge point of the sprue plate, and the guide pins could use a touch too.
That aluminum "gall's" easily.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
I have two of those T/C molds and yes they are aluminum. I have an identical .440" like the one pictured and a .350" T/C mold. I later got a dbl cavity Lee in both those sizes. They did cast lots of ball and it was ball of excellent quality too. But the molds left a large sprue on both sizes which was actually no big deal. I tumbled them in an old model "B" Thumbler Tumbler which reduced the sprue to a very small pucker.

LeonardC

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a set of molds for a T/C Renegade .54. I bought 2 molds when I bought the gun (long time ago!), a Maxi-Ball and a Maxi-Hunter. The Maxi-Hunter is still in the sealed factory package. Both are steel. There is no maker markings on the the package that I can see other than T/C.

(Edit: the packagae is a piece of heavy paper/cardboard sealed in plastic.)

I not too long ago bought a used T/C ball mold to complete the collection and although I can't put my mitts on it right now I'm sure it's steel as well.

Last edited:

ADK Bigfoot

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I suspect Green Mountain made these molds marketed by TC. I have identical molds in some calibers, marked TC or GM. I have never held a TC mold that was anything but black aluminum. RB, Hunter, Maxi; all aluminum.

ADK Bigfoot

Last edited:

Sidney Smith

50 Cal.
Reaction score
The TC blocks are aluminum.
To my knowledge, Lyman blocks are steel.
To my memory, I've not heard stories of TC running a foundry capable of casting their own aluminum. Or casting any of their own steel parts for rifle assembly.
TC was basically a milling and assembly operation. (steel and wood)

Interesting question 11th corps. 👍
I never really thought about who supplied TC with raw components. :dunno:
I look forward to other's answers,
The Lyman maxi ball mold I have is aluminum.

LeonardC

32 Cal
Reaction score
I was wrong about my T/C molds being steel (Iron?).

After reading over the tread and people's responses, I pulled out molds from T/C(BP), Lee(BP), Lyman(HG), and RCBS(HG). The Lyman and RCBS would catch a magnet from any direction. The T/C and Lee would always have a spot that would not grab the magnet; the areas that did grab I assume are because of steel/iron parts within the molds.

Latest posts