• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball in original .58 Zouave

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
finally got round ball for my .58. Mold is .563, so a little small, but fits my trade gun too. Grease patch over 60 gr put the ball almost 18 inches high at 60 yds. as far as i could tell. i ended up doubling the patch and dropped the powder to 40 gr, and it was still high, about 10 inches. all the hits were in a vertical string so i know i`m on as far as that goes- i set up a scrap piece of wood behind the target just to see if i was overshooting.
i think i will need a taller target to see how high the balls are hitting next time i go out. And find thicker patching.

side note- anyone got about ten .570 balls they can part with?
i can max out at the gravel pit i shoot at at about 85 yards

Yeah I had to settle on a .562 rb and .575 mini mold. The mini is a thumb pressure start but rams smooth. I added the sniper sight. Aiming at the top of it helped those short range high hits plus is easy to see.

I have 3 minie molds, one i can`t seem to get hot enough but its a huge one, an Italian brass one that i like, but is a pain to use, and a Lyman. The latter 2 shoot ok, but have fairly wide groups. The round ball, as i said was vertically stringing, but that was caused by a lot of factors, and changing variables. Once i actually figure out where it`s shooting, i think it .562 will be fine. Been thinking about the sniper sight, have to order more nipples anyway

I have 3 minie molds, one i can`t seem to get hot enough but its a huge one, an Italian brass one that i like, but is a pain to use, and a Lyman. The latter 2 shoot ok, but have fairly wide groups. The round ball, as i said was vertically stringing, but that was caused by a lot of factors, and changing variables. Once i actually figure out where it`s shooting, i think it .562 will be fine. Been thinking about the sniper sight, have to order more nipples anyway
Been using a #11 primer nipple on mine with no issues

Back