• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Ball in Damascus Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
Is it safe to fire a lead round ball through an antique fowler with a Damascus barrel? Thanks

No dif between ball or shot same powder charge, ball are usually less weight than the shot loads guys are using.

Si if it is a good barrel no problem, except for thase marked NOT FOR BALL they are choked barrels but if loaded from the front they go down they will go out.

What is the proof on the barrels, and what is the weight of the ball? For instance, if the barrels are proofed for 1-ounce, the ball cannot exceed 437 grains with an equivalent by volume powder charge. This assumes the barrels are in good condition to stay within proof.

This is a very light 12 gauge Fowler from the 1840s. The seller said he only used 28 gauge equivalent loads and no round ball.

Damascus barrels were actually stronger than the other barrels of their time. They had many small welds while the others had one larger weld. The question is the condition of the barrel and how it has been treated over the years.

Perhaps the OP has never heard of the ring test. Howsabout you 'splain it for him?
Sure. I take barrel(s) out of stock and action. Then hook a wire through tang hole or around hook on breechloader and then tap barrels end to end with small steel rod. They should ring, sort of. If they sound dull, maybe a loose rib or void in metal.

I'd be more circumspect about firing round ball in that barrel, compared with shot. But all the comments guys have made here are helpful. Inspect, inspect, inspect!

Actually, a round ball will often weigh less than the usual load of shot.

The 12 gauge round ball (0.710") weighs 538 grains which is less than 1 1/4 ounces (546 grains) of shot but more than a light load of 1 1/8 ounces (492 grains) of shot.
Obviously, if a 0.690" ball is used (500 grains) then it is close in weight to the 1 1/8 ounce load of shot.

The 20 gauge round ball (0.600") weighs 325 grains which is less than 3/4 ounces (328 grains) of shot.

Pressure at the breech when fired will be similar when round ball pressures are compared to shot loads. There will be some differences due to the quality of gas seal when fired. None the less, I would recommend light shot loads for a Damascus barreled shotgun that passes all the inspections.

I have an 160yr Belgian 12ga I shot .690 patched lead balls through with no problems. Since it’s so old, I keep my charge at 65gr of triple 7 and still get close to 900fps. As others mentioned, it will depend on the condition of the barrels for it be considered safe. I started off with 25grs of powder and 00 buck or small shot and worked by way up to round balls.

Back