• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rough barn gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend had 10,000 board ft. of curly maple stored for about 15 yr.s in a cow shelter barn. Sure enough , the bottom layer of planks , about 16 planks , were slightly holed, w/ powder post beetle holes. The planks we planed and cut into stock blanks , and used them over the next years. Neither of us ever saw a bug , over a ten yr. period. Also, none of the precarved gunstock wood had any indication , there was a problem. One word of caution , never spray gunstock wood with insect poison , The guy working the wood into stocks , could be made sick from toxic bug spray. This happened to a wood worker running a gunstock copying machine..

wood worms die with the temperature above 55*
also you can put the butt stock in a trash bag and give it a good squirt of starting fluid/ether, then tape the bag shut and let the little buggers huff that for a while.
Would vacuum bag the stock, cover with a black lawn sack, and hang in the summer sun for a couple of days work?
It getting up to +100F and in the direct sunlight and the black plastic keeping it hot should put the Kietus on them.

Inquiring minds and all,

Would vacuum bag the stock, cover with a black lawn sack, and hang in the summer sun for a couple of days work?
It getting up to +100F and in the direct sunlight and the black plastic keeping it hot should put the Kietus on them.

Inquiring minds and all,
i would imagine that would work.
first it would be necessary to determine if there are active bugs.
when they are active you can hear them. they sound like someone crunching on a carrot.

Loocking at all these worm holes makes me question how bad the inside of the wrist area looks. That you cannot find out unless you cut into it. Being a professional cabinet maker, I have cut some wood over the years... I could come up with 2 solutions. One, shooting the gun with a proof loaf safely. If it does not break, kill the worms. We were taught that kiln drying will do that. So heat is a good one. Second, and you may get there by default is to use your old stock as a template and make a new stock. Make sure you get rid of the old stock soon after. You do not want to get the worm into your house. All the best!

Worm hole wood is one of my favorite stock woods , ever since I saw an original Lehigh Valley , Pa. rifle at Dixons ML Shop. Chuck Dixon and I discussed his wormy wood Lehigh Barn gun extensively.. It's a rare gun , and the holes , and longitudinal channels were never filled , and appear cleaned out of the saw dust. I have made guns from wormy ash , and maple. I prefer to clean out the dust , and fill the holes and channels , with black , or brown stained Epoxie , then sand off smooth. It's builders choice. ......oldwood
Original Brown Bess

Attachments

• 20230113_105226.jpg
    20230113_105226.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230113_105209.jpg
    20230113_105209.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Original Brown Bess
Worm holes in the original Brown Bess appear to be bored from the exterior of the long go finished stock. The barn find stock worm holes appear to be from before the wood was milled and then became apparent when the final shape emerged - worms could not burrow along wood surface. Like another poster, I would worry about worm holes in the wrist area causing weakness.

I’ll be honest the more I’m looking at the stock the holes don’t go deep I can see the end of each one so not sure how they could still be there. Feeling a little better about that!

I’ll be honest the more I’m looking at the stock the holes don’t go deep I can see the end of each one so not sure how they could still be there. Feeling a little better about that!
if all are surface channels you are golden! certainly will be one of a kind!
we pay big money for figure in wood, those bug runs will be sure to attract attention.
i got to thinking (dangerous),about killing those bugs that might be alive. if there are any holes uncovered you could blast the hole with high pressure. likely to do bad things to a bug.
ps. please post progress, this has me enthralled.

If the wood that your stock came from was kiln dried it will be okay. Once the moisture comes down to 6-9% the heat in the kiln is turned up to close the cells and kill any bugs and larvae.

Heating the wood to about 150° F (about the temperature of a hot cup of coffee) will kill any and all eggs, larvae and adults present. Heating at about 200° F will also stabilize the wood and make it more insect resistant. Some woods are heat treated to about 210° F, which is about the temperature of kiln drying. Bagging the wood and using a hot hair dryer would probably be adequate.
(The author is a qualified entomologist and music instrument technician)

if all are surface channels you are golden! certainly will be one of a kind!
we pay big money for figure in wood, those bug runs will be sure to attract attention.
i got to thinking (dangerous),about killing those bugs that might be alive. if there are any holes uncovered you could blast the hole with high pressure. likely to do bad things to a bug.
ps. please post progress, this has me enthralled.
I will definitely do that! It’s definitely a neat piece of wood with some good curl, I rubbed a damp cloth on it and was pretty excited to see the curl but these big holes are going to look nice too! The stock came from TVM so I’m assuming it was done properly, but like I said all these holes are surface only snd none seem to go into the wood. Also no crunching sound that I could hear in the wood either

Back