• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rough barn gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worm hole wood is one of my favorite stock woods , ever since I saw an original Lehigh Valley , Pa. rifle at Dixons ML Shop. Chuck Dixon and I discussed his wormy wood Lehigh Barn gun extensively.. It's a rare gun , and the holes , and longitudinal channels were never filled , and appear cleaned out of the saw dust. I have made guns from wormy ash , and maple. I prefer to clean out the dust , and fill the holes and channels , with black , or brown stained Epoxie , then sand off smooth. It's builders choice. ......oldwood

Wo
Worm hole wood is one of my favorite stock woods , ever since I saw an original Lehigh Valley , Pa. rifle at Dixons ML Shop. Chuck Dixon and I discussed his wormy wood Lehigh Barn gun extensively.. It's a rare gun , and the holes , and longitudinal channels were never filled , and appear cleaned out of the saw dust. I have made guns from wormy ash , and maple. I prefer to clean out the dust , and fill the holes and channels , with black , or brown stained Epoxie , then sand off smooth. It's builders choice. ......oldwood
Thank you for this information!! Would you happen to have any pictures of the stained epoxy method, finished product is fine

On this one I lined up a centerline from the butt plate to in front of the trigger guard, when I tried to extend this centerline to the muzzle to shape the forestock I discovered the pre-carve had a dogleg just in front of the lock. I fudged the centerline as much as I could but everything is still out of alignment. I already had the ramrod pipes in when I discovered the dogleg and the bow in the ramrod channel. This was just one of the approximately 12 major flaws in this pre-carve. This pre-carve stock didn't have any cast off, it does now because of the bow right at the trigger guard front finial.

ramrod groove bow..JPG

On this one I lined up a centerline from the butt plate to in front of the trigger guard, when I tried to extend this centerline to the muzzle to shape the forestock I discovered the pre-carve had a dogleg just in front of the lock. I fudged the centerline as much as I could but everything is still out of alignment. I already had the ramrod pipes in when I discovered the dogleg and the bow in the ramrod channel. This was just one of the approximately 12 major flaws in this pre-carve. This pre-carve stock didn't have any cast off, it does now because of the bow right at the trigger guard front finial.

View attachment 193242
That’s why I’m not to worried about it It’s all starting to grow on me and just looks like good character if you ask me!! I’m just wondering what to do with the worm holes.. epoxy them or leave them exposed

View attachment 193242
Also before I forget, what stain is that you used on that gun?? I like the little bit of red bc it’s not to much

That’s why I’m not to worried about it It’s all starting to grow on me and just looks like good character if you ask me!! I’m just wondering what to do with the worm holes.. epoxy them or leave them exposed
I would leave the holes exposed

One more opinion......If you decide to fill the holes, to me , plain walnut color wood filler , never smooths out. There's always a depression after sanding. If filling w/ colored epoxie , the holes sand off smooth. ........Spoken from experience. LOL:thumb:

one thing you need to do is determine that them bugs are all dead! if you see new dust you need to kill them buggers.
the most important tool you need to turn that project into a gem, is TIME. think about what you are about to do for triple the time it is going to take to do it.
that is going to have great character. remember that each part you are working on and with can be replaced, but it is harder to replace wood.
replace those trigger guard screws with larger head screws and it will look good.
best of luck. it will be a gun to be proud of in the end.

one thing you need to do is determine that them bugs are all dead! if you see new dust you need to kill them buggers.
the most important tool you need to turn that project into a gem, is TIME. think about what you are about to do for triple the time it is going to take to do it.
that is going to have great character. remember that each part you are working on and with can be replaced, but it is harder to replace wood.
replace those trigger guard screws with larger head screws and it will look good.
best of luck. it will be a gun to be proud of in the end.
I appreciate that, I’m definitely going to do my best on this and take my time. So if I do need to kill them bugs how do I go about this?

If it was a pre shape stock it was a waster once the evident worm channels appeared essensially un salable . This said I.ve made some nice guns out of rejected wasters . But with Wood worm its nye impossible to kill it for sure so its hardly worth the effort unless it pleases you to use it regardless . I started to stock up a double flint rifle it showed worming I marked it and left it in an old fridge soaked & sealed in petrol fumes for 6 mounths . you would think there' cactus' but no they survived & twenty years later it's just carried on. Its firewood. I've seen such worming that the wood worm had to hold hands to stop the wood collapsing . Old B & B in Wales it was . Regards Rudyard

I don't see why putting a stock in one of those vacuum storage bags for a couple of months wouldn't work.
Pull a good vacuum with a shop vac should drop the PSI to the point that anything living would pop.

I wouldnt think so...if you have holes that tunnel, potentially a critter could be in there, but if it is just grooved along the surface, not. It would be pretty easy to kill any buggers left...I would think a slosh of acetone over any tunnels would be pretty effective, and will evaporate off on its own. Lord knows, a swim in acetone sure wouldnt do me any good.

I wouldnt think so...if you have holes that tunnel, potentially a critter could be in there, but if it is just grooved along the surface, not. It would be pretty easy to kill any buggers left...I would think a slosh of acetone over any tunnels would be pretty effective, and will evaporate off on its own. Lord knows, a swim in acetone sure wouldnt do me any good.
Hahah good point! I do have some deep ones so they could probably still be in there

Back