• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rooster down at dawn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the answer is it is the one of the best game shooting countries in the
Well "Mr. Sportsman," many of us see a difference between, hunting, and "game shooting."
A couple guys and a dog, good cover, the bird has a chance to not be found, or missed if he is found and flushes, or run and hide again. Many variables give that bird a chance. A guy alone or with a friend and no dog, odds are totally in favor of the bird..
Compare that to standing where birds are being pushed to by beaters,,,, yup now we have game shooting.
People go there to shoot game, not to hunt. And many go to experience the cultural aspects that go with it.
And that is fine. But, do not try to come here and tell us that your way is more sporting. It is not, and it certainly isn't hunting,,, at least not for the shooters.

Why don't you stick to educating us on original British and Euro fowling pieces and their restoration? This is where your knowledge truly shines.
Hunting,,,,, not so much.

I am afraid your reply is a load of mostly untruths or should it be sign of gilt. why not enter your exploits in the many UK forums I would be interested in their responses. Ok you have had your say and I mine so lets call it a day enjoy your pheasant
Feltwad
Bizarre, you are a self righteousness old fool Feltwad. To accuse of lies and guilt publicly without producing any evidence is tantamount to slander. You are truly blinkered.
Nothing would be nicer if Britain was covered with small family shoots again but it isn't, in fact due to commercial shoots the small shoot will be roped into the same condemnation.

"enjoy my pheasant ", I'd rather give it to the dog now after your usual rhetoric Feltwad.
Thanks.

Envious. I’d have to go to a game farm to hunt a bird like that. Here in New England my gun club bought small quantities from game farms and released them on leased land for member hunts. It stopped when we lost the lease amd could not find another.
Spent many a season upland game hunting and don’t recall ever seeing a pheasant in the wild.
No wild pheasants here in Pennsylvania either. I firmly believe the odd report of one represents released birds that have had a good run of luck - So far.

Genuine question for French Colonial: Why is it now rare in my neighborhood to see a single honeybee, when certain trees used to be literally humming with them? My guess is the chemicals that so many of my neighbors use to control weeds and insects. And in the mostly barren farmlands I hunt, honey bees and song birds are few and far between. I I don't know how else to explain it, and assume the same chemical practices by typical large farms does the same thing up the food chain. And as a side note, I have a relative that shoots every hawk he can, just to keep a few chickens for eggs. It is a continual battle... But how can you fight against the flood of chemicals?

Repeat after me, its habitat, habitat, habitat

Corn, soybeans and wheat are not on the honeybees most favorite lists, wildflowers are. And yes, the farmers will plant on any field that used to be filled with wildflowers in order to grow more to survive in a business where its tough to survive if your the little guy.
Want more bees, plant your backyard with bee balm, purple coneflowers or marigolds. My front yard is teaming with bees attracted to my marigolds and coneflowers, to the point that I have to keep after them so they don't hive in spots I don't want them.

Its a shame there is not more wildflowers in the woods and meadows but that is the world we live in.

Well "Mr. Sportsman," many of us see a difference between, hunting, and "game shooting."
A couple guys and a dog, good cover, the bird has a chance to not be found, or missed if he is found and flushes, or run and hide again. Many variables give that bird a chance. A guy alone or with a friend and no dog, odds are totally in favor of the bird..
Compare that to standing where birds are being pushed to by beaters,,,, yup now we have game shooting.
People go there to shoot game, not to hunt. And many go to experience the cultural aspects that go with it.
And that is fine. But, do not try to come here and tell us that your way is more sporting. It is not, and it certainly isn't hunting,,, at least not for the shooters.

Why don't you stick to educating us on original British and Euro fowling pieces and their restoration? This is where your knowledge truly shines.
Hunting,,,,, not so much.
You no nothing of my knowledge because I have forgot more than you will ever know . I have hunted has you call it over dogs for the past 7 decades for pheasants partridges and other game you name it and I have HUNTED it over spaniels , curly retrievers. Labradors pointers and setters all of these breeds I have breed myself until my legs let me down ,now my sport is crows pigeons and driven birds .My knowledge goes along way farther than fowling guns and gun knowledge has a lot of members in this forum will tell you .
Feltwad

You no nothing of my knowledge because I have forgot more than you will ever know . I have hunted has you call it over dogs for the past 7 decades for pheasants partridges and other game you name it and I have HUNTED it over spaniels , curly retrievers. Labradors pointers and setters all of these breeds I have breed myself until my legs let me down ,now my sport is crows pigeons and driven birds .My knowledge goes along way farther than fowling guns and gun knowledge has a lot of members in this forum will tell you .
Feltwad
That all maybe true Feltwad but some of us don't know because you hide yourself behind a veil. Not one member of this forum has ever informed me of who you say you are.

Besides all that. It certainly does not give you any authority to bad mouth any one operating outside your idyllic image.
You always follow the same pattern feltwad. You start off sounding informative. That soon turns into a condemning rant with a wide sweeping brush and then when the retorts appear you claim victimisation or tell others to return to the topic or try to rubber stamp your authority!
It's getting boring Feltwad, who ever you are or were. You are just starting to sound like a bitter old man. It is not enjoyable for anyone Feltwad.

Drivel and nonsense, Farmers in America are the best stewards of the soil that the world has ever seen. Do they farm as much land as possible to receive the best return on investment possible...Yes.

But the hawks, coyotes and even eagles have returned to the heartland and made it difficult for an introduced bird (pheasant) to survive along with loss of habitat. (They seem to be unaffected by the chemicals, why is that?)

It has NOTHING to do with petrochemical companies or chemicals. Do you really believe growers who are smart enough to be early adopters of drone technology, and auto-steer tractors before the auto industry used it in cars are so dumb that they spray products that might harm their children and grandchildren on their fields.

Soil fertility is better than it has ever been and Roundup (which another poster brought up) has NEVER been found to cause any harm in any SCIENTIFIC study. If you don't believe it quote the study that says otherwise.

Pheasants thrive in the Dakotas that grow tremendous amounts of wheat and use chemicals...WHY? Its all about habitat.

Off the soapbox now.
I don't know what fantasy world that you find yourself living in, but claiming that farmers in the United States are the best stewards of their land on the planet is just nonsense.

When I was a kid, living in Baltimore City, on weekend family drives in the 1960's that my father & mother would take us on out into Baltimore County, Harford County, Cecil County, Anne Arundel County, Howard County, Frederick County, Queen Anne's County, Kent County, Prince George's County, and Montgomery County, Maryland; the predominant smell in the springtime would be that of dairy cattle manure, and horse manure that was spread on fields for fertilization.

You could stop by any field one could choose, dig down only a couple of inches into the soil, and find loads of earthworms, as well as smell the richness of the soil's life. It was, and still is to this very day, an unmistakable smell that I will to my dying day associate with nature's abundance, and GOD'S incredible gift to us as humans.

That soil richness is gone, killed off by the chemical fertilizers, but more importantly, by the vast array of poisons that any modern farmer that farms using the Green Revolution method of farming must utilize in order to have any chance of showing a profit at the end of his/her growing season.

I challenge any farmer in the United States to morally justify drenching the plants that they grow for human consumption, and their soils, with chemical poisons, 100% of which can trace their lineage directly to ZYKLON B, the poison discovered/invented as a result of the inhumane, nay should I say, evil research conducted by Nazi Germany so that they could murder millions of people.

Every single one of the hundreds of pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, and nematicides that are used on crops today have as their direct ancestor, ZYKLON B. Period.

I challenge any honest modern petrochemical farmer in the United States, your so-called stewards of their lands, to provide the members of this forum with substantiated written evidence of the carbon content of their soils. With at least 2 independent lab tests not performed by a state land grant university. Who, as far as I am concerned, are now, and have been for decades in collusion with the petrochemical companies.

I challenge any honest petrochemical farmer in the United States, to provide the members of this forum with a real time video of them driving a spade/shovel into one of their highly treated fields, and prove to us that the soil has any earthworms in it.

Anyone that has spent any time at all in recent decades knows that a honest petrochemical farmer in the United States simply cannot provide the evidence that I have asked for. The reason is that synthetic chemical compounds in the form of N-P-K, or nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium are toxic to soil life.

The flip side of the petrochemical coin is that any poison that is designed to kill a specific insect pest, plant disease, fungus, or weed competing with the cash crop; cannot help but kill off thousands of other organisms that comprise a healthy soil.

Modern day soils are nothing but chemically sterile environments, where the soil is nothing more than a medium that holds the chemicals in place until they can perform whatever job it is that they were designed to do.

Last, but not least, is that these so-called stewards of the land, by the use of incredibly poor farming practices, over the past 250 years, have allowed 90% of the topsoil that was present in North America before European settlers arrived on the continent; to be washed away into every major river system that drains into the Atlantic ocean, the Pacific ocean, each of the Great Lakes, the St. Lawrence seaway, the Gulf of Mexico, the Chesapeake Bay, Puget Sound, and the Gulf of California.

The only way to restore the depleted soil's is to sustainably farm such as Joel Salatin does on his family's Polyface Farms. Sustainable farming, with hooved animals on constantly rotated pasture, is the only quick way of growing soil any faster than the thousands of years that it took to create the Great Plains of North America, the savannahs of Africa, the steppes of Asia, and the pampas of South America.

Salatin is not the only farmer/rancher in the United States that has rebuilt soils that were completely depleted decades ago.

There aren't many of these revolutionary farmers/ranchers out there now, probably only a hundred, or so. But, to a man/woman, they have proven, documented evidence that mob grazing on rich, biodiverse pastures using portable electric fencing, and with rotations of cattle, hogs, chickens, ducks, geese, guinea hens, turkeys, sheep, and goats can create new soil at an unprecedented rate.

These mob grazing farmers/ranchers are the true stewards of their lands, not the petrochemical farmers. The wild animals that inhabit these farms/ranches are some of the largest, and healthiest wild animals to be found in the United States.

Last edited:
No wild pheasants here in Pennsylvania either. I firmly believe the odd report of one represents released birds that have had a good run of luck - So far.
Often wondered why escaped or birds not taken on release/hunts don’t repopulate an area. Our club hasn’t had a program in a decade or more but a popular enterprise in RI, Addieville East Farms has active hunts.
The only wild population is on Block Island.
Too many predators in the state in seems.

I don't know what fantasy world that you find yourself living in, but claiming that farmers in the United States are the best stewards of their land on the planet is just nonsense.

When I was a kid, living in Baltimore City, on weekend family drives in the 1960's that my father & mother would take us on out into Baltimore County, Harford County, Cecil County, Anne Arundel County, Howard County, Frederick County, Queen Anne's County, Kent County, Prince George's County, and Montgomery County, Maryland; the predominant smell in the springtime would be that of dairy cattle manure, and horse manure that was spread on fields for fertilization.

You could stop by any field one could choose, dig down only a couple of inches into the soil, and find loads of earthworms, as well as smell the richness of the soil's life. It was, and still is to this very day, an unmistakable smell that I will to my dying day associate with nature's abundance, and GOD'S incredible gift to us as humans.

That soil richness is gone, killed off by the chemical fertilizers, but more importantly, by the vast array of poisons that any modern farmer that farms using the Green Revolution method of farming must utilize in order to have any chance of showing a profit at the end of his/her growing season.

I challenge any farmer in the United States to morally justify drenching the plants that they grow for human consumption, and their soils, with chemical poisons, 100% of which can trace their lineage directly to ZYKLON B, the poison discovered/invented as a result of the inhumane, nay should I say, evil research conducted by Nazi Germany so that they could murder millions of people.

Every single one of the hundreds of pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, and nematicides that are used on crops today have as their direct ancestor, ZYKLON B. Period.

I challenge any honest modern petrochemical farmer in the United States, your so-called stewards of their lands, to provide the members of this forum with substantiated written evidence of the carbon content of their soils. With at least 2 independent lab tests not performed by a state land grant university. Who, as far as I am concerned, are now, and have been for decades in collusion with the petrochemical companies.

I challenge any honest petrochemical farmer in the United States, to provide the members of this forum with a real time video of them driving a spade/shovel into one of their highly treated fields, and prove to us that the soil has any earthworms in it.

Anyone that has spent any time at all in recent decades knows that a honest petrochemical farmer in the United States simply cannot provide the evidence that I have asked for. The reason is that synthetic chemical compounds in the form of N-P-K, or nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium are toxic to soil life.

The flip side of the petrochemical coin is that any poison that is designed to kill a specific insect pest, plant disease, fungus, or weed competing with the cash crop; cannot help but kill off thousands of other organisms that comprise a healthy soil.

Modern day soils are nothing but chemically sterile environments, where the soil is nothing more than a medium that holds the chemicals in place until they can perform whatever job it is that they were designed to do.

Last, but not least, is that these so-called stewards of the land, by the use of incredibly poor farming practices, over the past 250 years, have allowed 90% of the topsoil that was present in North America before European settlers arrived on the continent; to be washed away into every major river system that drains into the Atlantic ocean, the Pacific ocean, each of the Great Lakes, the St. Lawrence seaway, the Gulf of Mexico, the Chesapeake Bay, Puget Sound, and the Gulf of California.

The only way to restore the depleted soil's is to sustainably farm such as Joel Salatin does on his family's Polyface Farms. Sustainable farming, with hooved animals on constantly rotated pasture, is the only quick way of growing soil any faster than the thousands of years that it took to create the Great Plains of North America, the savannahs of Africa, the steppes of Asia, and the pampas of South America.

Salatin is not the only farmer/rancher in the United States that has rebuilt soils that were completely depleted decades ago.

There aren't many of these revolutionary farmers/ranchers out there now, probably only a hundred, or so. But, to a man/woman, they have proven, documented evidence that mob grazing on rich, biodiverse pastures using portable electric fencing, and with rotations of cattle, hogs, chickens, ducks, geese, guinea hens, turkeys, sheep, and goats can create new soil at an unprecedented rate.

These mob grazing farmers/ranchers are the true stewards of their lands, not the petrochemical farmers. The wild animals that inhabit these farms/ranches are some of the largest, and healthiest wild animals to be found in the United States.

Liberal bull. If its so bad why do the fields produce more yields than ever before...
Foolish man, N-P-K... Nitrogen is a natural compound and your breathing it, Potash is mined from the earth, sounds pretty natural
Again, Use your common sense, you sound like farmers are trying to destroy their farms so they have nothing to leave their grandchildren and trying to poison them as well.
You my friend are wound to tight and brainwashed by Mother Earth magazine and its ilk.
I am also pretty sure your not friends with any farmers!

Flying over half the US on my way to South Dakota I saw many megafarms, rarely any wild spaces unless it’s just too broken to farm.
While driving all over the state hunting (2 guys, no dogs) pheasant you can’t go a mile without seeing a chunk of farmland left wild for all the critters. Everything but elk and buffalo live in them. The state is dead serious about their wildlife and income from nonresident hunters.
So much so that we took a small detour from a friends farm (which had the blackest soil I’ve ever seen!) onto the main highway from Minneapolis, known hotbed of anti-everything Marxist kids. My buddy wanted me to see a huge billboard put up by the state of So.Dak.
Wish I had taken a pic of it as it plainly stated sport hunting is a large part of So. Dak’s revenue and anyone interfering with legal hunting will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
These are a few of the management practices that make South Dakota’s pheasant hunting World Class.
If not for the Winters I’d live there!!

Last edited:
Brit thanks for sharing your hunt with all of us. I hope you get to feeling better soon!
While this forum is full of a diverse group of hunters and hobbyist all with unique outlooks and experiences. I truly enjoy the discussions back and forth but let's not forget that this post started as a member sharing a muzzleloading hunt so let's appreciate it for what it is and in the spirit it was shared.

Oops, I forgot what the Original post was!
Nice plump bird Brit !
When your gun is fouled Always come here because First you must soak the main charge with water prior to filling the bore with oils and chemicals then pound a tight stick all the way down because your shot charge won’t break a four foot drill bit…. Did I miss anything?

That all maybe true Feltwad but some of us don't know because you hide yourself behind a veil. Not one member of this forum has ever informed me of who you say you are.

Besides all that. It certainly does not give you any authority to bad mouth any one operating outside your idyllic image.
You always follow the same pattern feltwad. You start off sounding informative. That soon turns into a condemning rant with a wide sweeping brush and then when the retorts appear you claim victimisation or tell others to return to the topic or try to rubber stamp your authority!
It's getting boring Feltwad, who ever you are or were. You are just starting to sound like a bitter old man. It is not enjoyable for anyone Feltwad.
You may influence forum members in the States with your un truths about the English way of shooting sports and running them down Has I have said lets see your threads in the many UK forums it would be interesting with the answers. Has for hiding under a veil feltwad is the non de plume which is known world wide for his shooting and gun knowledge
Feltwad

How very interesting to read, and I do think there is value in discussions about game management, including farming practices. I can see a shadow of nuance in the ethics of the hunt in the UK even though I have little idea what the Brits here are talking about because this is not the type of hunting (and I do think it is hunting) that I have enjoyed

To @Feltwad ‘s question which he thought was rhetorical, “Why do droves of people come to hunt in the UK?”

I believe that humanity is “endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights”. I believe that hunting, though not named in the declaration, is one of the “amongst these”. I believe that the ethical poacher mentioned in this thread, The man who exercised his right to hunt, in spite of the kings law, may have been my great grandfather buried in Wales and maybe why my family is now here in America. In spite of my urban upbringing, the drive in me to hunt couldn’t be quenched.

To connect with my English heritage and my long gone Forefathers, even if it was in a Disneyland type setting/hunt is why I would like to visit the UK and join whatever hunt it was that I got to be on there.

To join @Britsmoothy as a friend on his hunt would be something very special that I would sacrifice more than money to experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back