• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rookie question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Butler

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got a couple of caplock guns I'd like to refinish. I've seen the term "draw filing" on here a few times in regards to refinishing a barrel but I'm not sure what it means or how it's done.

Draw filing refers to basically what the name implies. Most folks think of filing as stroking across a piece of metal. When you draw file you grasp the file with both hands making it easier to keep flat with the flats of the octagon barrel. Now draw it too you or with the barrel not across. The drawing action will give you a smooth file finish depending on the file of course. Where when you cross file you easily get grooves and gouges, if you were to try and file an entire barrel it would be next too impossible to get a smooth finish! We all have questions the only dumb one, is the one you forgot to ask before screwing something up! :wink:

Rick, you probably won't have to draw-file your barrels if you are just refinishing them, unless they are damaged beyond emery cloth or sandpaper. Draw filing is for the final shaping process when the barrel is in the rough. Good luck on your projects.

Back