• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ron Scott

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all depends on your interest. Personally I have bought many guns that I couldn't afford, but I really wanted them and made it work. I don't know anything about the Ron Scott gun you are looking at, but I would say it probably would be worth it me. I've seen several of Ron Scotts guns and they have been impeccable. Would I rather have a rifle carved out of a piece of pine with a water pipe barrel, even if by some miracle it shot minute groups, but was only $49.00? No..

Here's the rifle (top) vs the original that he made the rifle from. The owner (now passed) owned both rifles and had Ron make a copy of his original kuchenreuter jaeger. I talked to Ron and he agreed that he could add an acid finish that would make it basically identical to the original without having to sand the stock.

Attachments

• 20210601_193535.jpg
    20210601_193535.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 151
Here's the rifle (top) vs the original that he made the rifle from. The owner (now passed) owned both rifles and had Ron make a copy of his original kuchenreuter jaeger. I talked to Ron and he agreed that he could add an acid finish that would make it basically identical to the original without having to sand the stock.

So it's a bench copy of a Jaeger gun? Looks nice. How much is the original?

It all depends on your interest. Personally I have bought many guns that I couldn't afford, but I really wanted them and made it work. I don't know anything about the Ron Scott gun you are looking at, but I would say it probably would be worth it me. I've seen several of Ron Scotts guns and they have been impeccable. Would I rather have a rifle carved out of a piece of pine with a water pipe barrel, even if by some miracle it shot minute groups, but was only $49.00? No..

Not so. Lotta folks on this site own swamped barrel 4A maple guns that cost 1000 or less and despite not having been teched by a modern master, they both look and shoot good. We aren't comparing apples to oranges, but rather maybe crab apples to Red Delicious to Galas to Fujis. Money can buy quality, but it can also buy pretense. They are not the same thing. Nor is a quality kit rifle(something I've never built) the same as a pine stocked water pipe barrel.

If you want it, buy it we only go around once and might as well have the best we can get. I want a castell rifle and one day the right one will show up. Quality and craftsman ship has a price, pride of ownership has a price. Who gives a s$$$ what others think in issues such as these.

Not so. Lotta folks on this site own swamped barrel 4A maple guns that cost 1000 or less and despite not having been teched by a modern master, they both look and shoot good. We aren't comparing apples to oranges, but rather maybe crab apples to Red Delicious to Galas to Fujis. Money can buy quality, but it can also buy pretense. They are not the same thing. Nor is a quality kit rifle(something I've never built) the same as a pine stocked water pipe barrel.

? I guess I'm lost. If you like the gun buy it.

As a price comparison, here is a rifle I bought some 15+ years ago. From a custom builder using the best parts and built from a maple blank. Bought it new and unused for $2,500.00. I think it's a safe bet I could not have this same quality of gun made today for $4,000.00.
So the price for the Ron Scott gun sounds fair to me.

Rick
DSC00074 (Medium).JPG

I'm looking at a rifle made by Ron Scott. Is the rifle worth the high cost? How are they in terms of quality and rifle performance?

Over the past 50+ years I've collected & shot mostly original English & European firearms but about 30 years ago I had the pleasure to met with Ron at several rendezvous & traded a nice original half stock rifle to him for a rifle he built.
I can honestly say that his workmanship & engraving is unexcelled & are equal to English & European masters of the period.. Yes they are pricy but but I as a far-less skilled builder myself can appreciate the long hours & high quality materials he uses to create his firearms.
Relic shooter

Thing is I have shot more with cheap guns than anything else. What I need a good working gun and if you don’t clean it or it’s slung I in the back of the truck it’s don’t matter. I make my own flinters barrels and all. I just made one with a genuine Bess lock cost me £220 on eBay but total under £300. Others are L&R Ok i have £8k of rifles on the wall but I don’t use them. And my £5k 450-400 double stays in in the case , yes it’s shot cape buff but not by me

Good working rifles that’s what you need need. I have posh cars but I I use an old Scudo van as it suites me better same thing. I wish you well it’s your choice don’t listens to us

Attachments

• B77FE623-A7C8-46F6-AC69-61C63395831C.jpeg
    B77FE623-A7C8-46F6-AC69-61C63395831C.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 310F5C01-E80A-42C0-9AE8-0EBA3FF010F2.jpeg
    310F5C01-E80A-42C0-9AE8-0EBA3FF010F2.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 87
I'm looking at a rifle made by Ron Scott. Is the rifle worth the high cost? How are they in terms of quality and rifle performance?
I think the legal definition is the price it will bring
My wife got a couple of Van Gogh copies for our bedroom to me they’re as good as having an original. But $50 compared to ‘priceless’
If you paid $6000 for a fine rifle and you found no flaw in it would it be worth it to you?
I’m gun builder. But I’ve made rifles I sold pretty much for the cost of the parts. My joy came from building the gun, and that was priceless

This here is a Tatuaje J21 Reserva. It was made to be destroyed with fire. It can live a lifetime in storage, or an hour or two in use. Three years ago it was worth it to me to buy it. I have about 15 left from two boxes I bought. I probably wouldn't buy them today if I had the chance. But I can still pull one out and appreciate the work and time that went in to getting it where it is today. The remaining ones I have even live in their own individual sealed Tupperware container to keep them fresh and untainted by my humidors. Is this stick of bundled leaves worth $11 to me right now? Nope. But it was once. I have never possessed anything in my life whose worth did not fluctuate except my wife's love, my daughter's health, and the Gospel.
Sir, with all due respect maybe you should be more cautious of all things in your posted photographs 😉😆😅😅

I was at the Baltimore Antique Arms Show one year taking a break on the bench seat outside the building. Some guy walked out leaving, with a nice gun slung over his shoulder. While walking, he says: "Yep, this hobby is why I'll never be rich". LOL.

Rick

If you want it, buy it we only go around once and might as well have the best we can get. I want a castell rifle and one day the right one will show up. Quality and craftsman ship has a price, pride of ownership has a price. Who gives a s$$$ what others think in issues such as these.
I don’t know how old you are but I’m rounding third and heading for home, I’d buy it. It’s so hard to enjoy a fine rifle well,..underground....

Latest posts

Back