• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ron Scott

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mariner

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm looking at a rifle made by Ron Scott. Is the rifle worth the high cost? How are they in terms of quality and rifle performance?

"Worth" can only be determined by each individual. If a fella can make a living selling 10-20 rifles a year, more power to him. I cannot afford a rifle from someone who only needs to sell a handful rifles a year to support his lifestyle. And such a rifle probably won't be any more accurate than a rifle costing a tenth of that. Nevertheless, while a Casio is infinitely cheaper than a Rolex, it isn't made of solid precious metal, isn't a certified chronometer, and isn't what a Rolex is. But it does tell time. "Worth" is not the word you should use in this context. Value for money may be a better word selection. And the burden still falls to you to decide how much you want to spend on a practically obsolete art object that can also kill deer, squirrels, and people.

If that rifle is in your price range I can’t see where you would go wrong purchasing it. Mr. Scott’s workmanship is in the highest regard.

The rifle in question is used but practically brand new and is $4700 with fine carving.

A bit more perspective on what things used to cost compared to now can help us decide if we should spend the money or not. By the time he became a full on member of the gentry, George Washington owned a rifle. He owned between 3 and 6 rifles over his lifetime. We know one cost about $1500 US dollars(modern money) even today, that is a strong amount of money. Almost the cost of my Kimber .270 with Leupold. Washington probably could have paid more for a Joe Manton gun later in life, and may have. And while 6 pounds sterling doesn't seem like much even converted to $1500 dollars today, it was more like $5000 given the lack of ready cash money, and the unbelievable poverty that was the commonality of all mankind.

An extraordinarily expensive rifle is to be admired for its quality, but that does not define its "worth", just as a person's worth cannot be defined by their income.

The rifle in question is used but practically brand new and is $4700 with fine carving.

In a modern practical sense, no newly made personal small arm is worth that much money. It is a luxury item pure and simple. Anyone saying otherwise is selling something. That much money would feed a family of four in a third world country for a year.

That rifle, unless your name is Daniel Boone, will never feed a family of four for a year. But again, prices will reach what the market will bear. If it worth it to you, then it is worth it. Objectively, in 2021, it is in no way worth it, aside from purely artistic value, which is a very real thing separate and apart from the notion of "worth" assigned by those who claim that rifle is a tool, nothing more and nothing less.

"Worth" can only be determined by each individual. If a fella can make a living selling 10-20 rifles a year, more power to him. I cannot afford a rifle from someone who only needs to sell a handful rifles a year to support his lifestyle. And such a rifle probably won't be any more accurate than a rifle costing a tenth of that. Nevertheless, while a Casio is infinitely cheaper than a Rolex, it isn't made of solid precious metal, isn't a certified chronometer, and isn't what a Rolex is. But it does tell time. "Worth" is not the word you should use in this context. Value for money may be a better word selection. And the burden still falls to you to decide how much you want to spend on a practically obsolete art object that can also kill deer, squirrels, and people.
I appreciate the perspective.

A new Chevy Spark and my used Cadillac each cost the same. The Cad gets a few less MPG and is much more comfortable. Both are 'worth' the money if they fulfill your needs and add to your happiness. My old Cadillac had 63K miles when I bought it. Another I drove 200K miles without repairs. Take your choice and then take care of it.. Polecat

This here is a Tatuaje J21 Reserva. It was made to be destroyed with fire. It can live a lifetime in storage, or an hour or two in use. Three years ago it was worth it to me to buy it. I have about 15 left from two boxes I bought. I probably wouldn't buy them today if I had the chance. But I can still pull one out and appreciate the work and time that went in to getting it where it is today. The remaining ones I have even live in their own individual sealed Tupperware container to keep them fresh and untainted by my humidors. Is this stick of bundled leaves worth $11 to me right now? Nope. But it was once. I have never possessed anything in my life whose worth did not fluctuate except my wife's love, my daughter's health, and the Gospel.

Attachments

• 20210601_161849.jpg
    20210601_161849.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 101
This here is a Tatuaje J21 Reserva. It was made to be destroyed with fire. It can live a lifetime in storage, or an hour or two in use. Three years ago it was worth it to me to buy it. I have about 15 left from two boxes I bought. I probably wouldn't buy them today if I had the chance. But I can still pull one out and appreciate the work and time that went in to getting it where it is today. The remaining ones I have even live in their own individual sealed Tupperware container to keep them fresh and untainted by my humidors. Is this stick of bundled leaves worth $11 to me right now? Nope. But it was once. I have never possessed anything in my life whose worth did not fluctuate except my wife's love, my daughter's health, and the Gospel.

Send me a couple

Jim in La Luz
😎

A new rifle ordered from a builder is "worth" whatever he/she charges to build it. The builder is entitled to his wages. A rifle on the aftermarket is "worth" whatever someone will pay for it. That price can vary with the economy and demand.
The "high cost" all depends on your financial situation. Functionally all rifles are about equal. Artistry and execution are where the value is added.

A new rifle ordered from a builder is "worth" whatever he/she charges to build it. The builder is entitled to his wages. A rifle on the aftermarket is "worth" whatever someone will pay for it. That price can vary with the economy and demand.

Tent true. The first part at least. Everything, new or used is only worth what someone will pay. As said above, the price is set by the consumer, not the producer. Unless we're talking the nutmeg monopoly of 400 years ago. A builder is entitled to what the market says it's worth, not what they think it's worth. #capitalism.

I'd say that's a bargain. He's been making a name for himself for a long time based on his superb craftsmanship and deep knowledge of these guns. I did a quick track archive search and found a longrifle of his that sold for $7,600 in 2006! Most of these really "famous" makers works don't come up for sale very often. I'd say if you like it and can afford it jump on it. I can't see you ever losing money on it.

Back