• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rollin' My Own.......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure the cartridges are going to rupture when rammed (maybe?). . Alot of shooters break the paper with a pick when loading. Do any of you find that really necessary?

I have read that one reason the cartridges are tapered is so that they will rupture when rammed. I personally have not found any need to break the paper beforehand. I make very fragile cartridges with just a single layer of fine paper, though.

I agree. I use only curling paper from Sally's and have no conplaints. Quick , easy , no fuss , and they fire every time.
DL

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 79
I have a half-inch dowel sitting by my drill press waiting for me to turn down a few paper cart mandrels. The other day I was watching guns of the west videos on YouTube at the end of one his paper cart videos he had a plastic paper cart mandrel for sale so I ordered one came today so tonight I will be trying it out tonight. The mandrel is made to use 44cal Johnston & Dow bullets but I think I can make them a little longer for round balls.

You can tell that I'm new at this by the questions. Why would a longer mandrel be needed for round balls? And why is hardwood specified instead of just regular pine or some of the other softer woods?

The Johnston & Dow bullets are glued close to the bottom of the bullet. I make RB carts two different ways. One way I leave the paper over the ball leaving a rats tail for easy handling and loading. But I also like them with the ball uncovered so I can ranch dip the balls in wax or JPW. You can use a softwood dowel a hardwood will last longer.

Latest posts

Back