Rollin' My Own.......

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Erwan

40 Cal
Reaction score

.44 associate

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the cartridges are going to rupture when rammed (maybe?). . Alot of shooters break the paper with a pick when loading. Do any of you find that really necessary?
I have read that one reason the cartridges are tapered is so that they will rupture when rammed. I personally have not found any need to break the paper beforehand. I make very fragile cartridges with just a single layer of fine paper, though.

51colt

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a half-inch dowel sitting by my drill press waiting for me to turn down a few paper cart mandrels. The other day I was watching guns of the west videos on YouTube at the end of one his paper cart videos he had a plastic paper cart mandrel for sale so I ordered one came today so tonight I will be trying it out tonight. The mandrel is made to use 44cal Johnston & Dow bullets but I think I can make them a little longer for round balls.

Eutycus

58 Cal.
Reaction score
You can tell that I'm new at this by the questions. Why would a longer mandrel be needed for round balls? And why is hardwood specified instead of just regular pine or some of the other softer woods?

51colt

32 Cal
Reaction score
The Johnston & Dow bullets are glued close to the bottom of the bullet. I make RB carts two different ways. One way I leave the paper over the ball leaving a rats tail for easy handling and loading. But I also like them with the ball uncovered so I can ranch dip the balls in wax or JPW. You can use a softwood dowel a hardwood will last longer.

Latest posts