• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rollin' My Own.......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no need to over-think this. I use (nontoxic) Elmer’s paste to seal the bottom of the cart closed. I use American Spirit (flax) or Raw (hemp) cig papers and get great results. Nitrating may be necessary or advisable for some types of paper but not for those. Paper residue left in chambers is minimal to nonexistent and presents no problem whatever. Any left behind paper can easily be scraped out or just ignored until clean up time.

I have to agree with Gee Dog here. DONT OVER THINK THIS. Is a simple matter. My supplies are shown. Cut 'em, roll 'em, fill 'em, load 'em, cap 'em ,shoot 'em, clean 'em, repeat 'em as needed. Stop when and if the smile ever fades. Just my $.02 worth.
DL

Attachments

• IMG_0886.JPG
    IMG_0886.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 108
Nitro Cellulose lacquer works pretty well as a glue. I tried it because I had some from making fireworks. It dries quickly, has a decent thick consistency and burns completely. Not advertising but I got mine from a web site called Skylighter, they ship and you are sure it's the right stuff(NOT a polyurethane).

Nitro Cellulose lacquer works pretty well as a glue. I tried it because I had some from making fireworks. It dries quickly, has a decent thick consistency and burns completely. Not advertising but I got mine from a web site called Skylighter, they ship and you are sure it's the right stuff(NOT a polyurethane).
This Nitro Cellulose lacuer what exactly is it? I got an idea already from the use of the word laquer.

Well, the flash paper arrived and I spent an hour or so working with it. It is great fun to light it and watch it dissapear. It is a significant PITA when trying to form it into cartridges. It is very thin and tears easily. Stick glues do not stick to it at all. Duco - plain or thinned with acetone - melts it. I am waiting for the magic bottle of flash paper glue to arrive and am hoping it is easier to work with.

The two cartridges that came out right are magnificent. :)

I will never cease to be amazed at the wealth of knowledge in The Muzzleloading Forum. I'd recently placed a "wanted" in the General Merchandise classifieds for a reprint (or copy) of "Directions for Loading Colt's Pistols." Lo and behold, tonight I found exactly what I was looking for on page 36 of the Handguns forum in the thread titled "Paper cartridges and caps." It was in reply #17, Dec. 19, 2016. By Zonie. Thanks again, sir.

Take care in the type of adhesive you use. Some of the epoxy - glue - cement - lacquer stuff mentioned here is very toxic and once vaporized could really do you some harm. This is just two little ol' pieces of paper to stick together - not rocket surgery. Use what grade-schoolers use for basic arts & crafts. Keep it simple, get it done and then go shooting.

This Nitro Cellulose lacuer what exactly is it? I got an idea already from the use of the word laquer.
It's just exactly what it sounds like. It's the paint used before all the other polys were invented. They stopped using it widely because it is flammable even dried. But that's what makes it a good cartridge wrap sealer. If you've ever fired off an old BP cannon, it's the paint used to seal the fuse.

Don't tell this to nobody: for some paper cartridges I do the gluing with collodion and it's with no risk...
If ( I belive no one) somebody don't have any idea that what the collodion is.... :):)

Collodion is a flammable, syrupy solution of pyroxylin (also called "nitrocellulose", "cellulose nitrate", "flash paper" and "gun cotton") in ether and alcohol. There are two basic types: flexible and non-flexible. The flexible type is often used as a surgical dressing or to hold dressings in place.

(Source: Wikipedia)

Tks Zonie,
I know what is the collodion and also cordite, by precaution I don't talk too much about it: on our forums it's not really accepted and the collodion hasn't been on sale since few years. I didn't know whether or not I could talk about nitrocellulose or what collodion is here...
It's a bit crazy: anyone can read Wikipedia, watch Youtube but nobody can describe on the forums and on some of them it's even strictly forbidden...
Maybe the fear of terrorism, for some time everything is forbidden under the pretext that it could be diverted from its primary use to be used by terrorists ...

You are happy here... ;):thumb:

The reason I posted the description is because I wasn't sure what collodion was and after finding out about it I decided that because it is being used by you as an adhesive, mentioning it on the forum wouldn't be any different than someone mentioning they use super glue or fingernail polish to do the job.

Hopefully, that makes sense to our members.

Buffalo Arms Co. still has 9# onion skin paper patch paper; I have about 97 sheets left from a pack I bought during a brief foray into the unmentionable dark world. The 8 1/2" X 11" sheets are .002" thick. Not sure of their composition but can make out "rag content" in the watermark. I was reminded of the paper after finding this very detailed eight-page article on the manufacture of combustible cartridges for revolvers: http://www.svartkrutt.net/articles/vis.php?id=51.
All will be revealed.

Back a few years, I got two boxes of brass 12 ga shells from a guy who turned them brass rods. )Unfortunately he no longer makes them). They take a shotgun primer. I read on Track of the Wolf that "...Seal the white card just below the case mouth, using popular DuPont DUCO cement, or a bead of Elmer's Carpenter's glue diluted with an equal part of water, using a small artist's brush. Or a drop of candle wax will seal the card and allow immediate use, although not quite as secure as glue. Brass cases are costly. Avoid the temptation to crimp."
At the time I didn't have any of the Duco cement so I figured I would try the wax.
At the SASS match I fired one barrel of my shotgun and when I went to shoot the other just got a primer going off and when I tipped it down I saw a pile of shot. Apparently the heat from the first barrel either melted the wax or the recoil jarred the wax loose. So now I stick with either Duco or Elmer's.

As for paper cartridges, I use regular bond paper to make the cartridges up for my .50 sharps. I just make the tubes big enough to seal around the bullet that I use string to die the bullet in the cartridge. I load the powder and twist the end. When I load my rifle the tail is cut off leaving the powder exposed. I have never had a problem with the paper staying in the chamber. I blow through the chamber to clear anything that might still be there.

As for paper cartridges for my Remington's (3 Pietta and 1 Uberti. I have 16 cylinders for the Pietta's and only one for the Uberti). I use large rolling papers around a mandrel that I made and Elmer's glue to close them. I dip the bullet in lube and the paper in wax and set them up to dry. I recently came across some that I had made about 10 years ago. Just for fun loaded the guns and took them out and fired them. Worked great and not a misfire in the bunch.

The word combustible as in combustible cartridges, does Elmer's Glue burn up even when alot is gobbed on?

Back