• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rod Guides, what's in your bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PluggedNickel

Still playing Cowboy after all these years!
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I just received a J. Dewey brass bore guide I had ordered in July from a seller on Amazon.com. Yep, it took that long to get here. They kept asking me if I still wanted it, due to the long, extended delays.
I had ordered it for my new at the time, Uberti 1847 Walker revolver. It is marked .45 cal on the top face of it. I couldn't be more pleased. I already had one in .36 caliber. This little brass tool has a rubber O-ring that rests on the barrel crown. The short brass tube that goes in the muzzle fits my Uberti .44 caliber 1858 RNA revolvers like a glove. ZERO slop, or movement with the rifling!
I have used Dewey Delron Rod Guides on my M1 Garand, Mini-14, Mini-30, and of course I have Dewey Ram Rods as well. They make good stuff. If your looking for a Rod Guide for your Uberti .44 caliber revolvers, this one is very nice, snug enough to stay in place, small and durable. It fits the Octagonal barrels of my 1858 RNA's like it was made for them, the knurled collar is about the same diameter as the barrels. Nice piece of kit!
This rod guide is snug enough on my 1858's that it will stay on when the muzzle is pointed down. Oddly, it was just a tad too small for the Walker muzzle. It would fit with some light sanding with 400 paper I'm sure. I don't want to do that with this one though, as I am very happy with the if on the REM's. I may just order another and size to fit the Walker.
Screenshot_2018-07-09%20%2045%20Caliber%20Brass%20Muzzle%20Guide%20Model%20C-45%20J%20Dewey%20Rods2_zpsstf6wwub.png
IMG_1265%20-%20Version%202_zpsr5nvywrv.jpg
IMG_1266%20-%20Version%202_zpstmlipmju.jpg
IMG_1262_zpsjz5haegj.jpg
IMG_1259%20-%20Version%202_zpssxs71mg8.jpg
IMG_1263%20-%20Version%202_zps2fa42cbr.jpg

Last edited:
If yer happy that is what counts. I looked them up. To me, about $25.00 is a bit pricey for a bore guide. I have several bought from ml vendors for about $5.00. And several others I made for myself from Delrin, wood, brass and antler.

Yeah, I paid $14.9something for mine with free shipping. Not expensive for my taste, but to each his own. I sometimes like to make my own stuff, other times not so much, depends on how many irons in the fire, how sore my hands are, and how quick I want it.
Very easy to make these on a lathe or drill press even. I like the fit, as It slips in, but I can invert the barrel and it won’t fall out.
Note to self, try to post price paid for members so they won’t waste their time looking at something they may not want to pay for.
Perhaps I’ll make one for the Walker. I just happen to have some deer antler too!
:)

Last edited:
Are you using the guide just for cleaning purposes?

Hows the pistol shoot? Accurate? Trigger Pull?

I've several muzzle protectors on various cleaning rods. They range from brass ones that fit .45 and up to small plastic ones that work with a .32. I always use one for cleaning any gun from the muzzle. They were simple, cheap and worked great.

I like the looks of the bore guide, appears to be very well made.

As mentioned already, the price is more than I would want to pay.

For the most part I have gone all plastic on my bore guides, they are not costly and last a long time.

Are you using the guide just for cleaning purposes?

Hows the pistol shoot? Accurate? Trigger Pull?
Yes, I keep the rods off the muzzle rifling. It is the last thing the bullet touches. I have used my fingers as a guide as well, and often times just use a Bore snake. Depends on how dirty, full of lead the barrel is.
I have seen guns, both rifles and pistols that needed nothing more than a recrowing, or even just lapping, to return them to former accuracy. I suspect there are more guns whose accuracy has been ruined by improper cleaning, than shot out barrels.
I am amazed at how many shooters don’t use one. Perhaps the guy that came up with the Bore Snake, saved them from themselves.
Oh, I meant to say it was a tad too large for the Uberti Walker. Easy to fix.

I go to the hardware store, buy a 1/4 NPT to compression plastic fitting and file the threads down to fit the bore size. The remaining threads provide a seal and the hex portion is easy to hold on to. Cost about .60 cents.

No pics, but I make mine from the hard "knuckle" at the base of a deer horn. Easy as pie to make and look pretty cool too. All the little nobs around the edge make it real easy to grasp and hold in place. Took all of 10 minutes to make with a drill and common hand tools.

i cover my steel range rods with shrink tubing instead.
If the guide is too short you can pinch your fingers between it and the rod handle.

Back