• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rod diameter question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzippper

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have nothing except a few rifles of varying calibers. This corum has told me to not use the rod under the barrel to load.

So, do I need rods for every caliber or will the smallest work for all (up to .54)?

Now. What material for the rod is socially acceptable? I probably will never rendezvous but I don't want to look like a Philistine either.

You have to have a good rod under your barrel, but I routinely use mine.
You have to use the rod right. Grasp just a few inches above the barrel and drive home in short strokes.
Sometimes(sic) guns are sold with crappy rods. You can make one easily or buy one premade via some good houses such as Track of The Wolf, or Log Cabin Sport Shop
I like to keep the rod under my barrel for normal use, a3/8 rod at an inch or so longer then the bore. My normal cleaning is with a wiping stick in 7/16, but have done a lot of field cleaning with my guns rod.

Good tips here. The rod on your rifle can be used for hunting and rendezvous. Competitive shooting at a range is different. You can use it but a dedicated range rod is handier and less tiring to use. Don't overlook synthetic materials. Some, like Delrin, do not break. A good safety feature.

I use my ram rod when I'm hunting it's not that difficult. When on the range or competitive shooting I use a range rod normally made of brass round stock and a rifle stand that I carry from station to station. It sticks in the ground that way I have something to lean the rifle and range rod on.

I do both depending on the circumstances. For hunting, stump/field shooting, or casual target shooting with established loads I will use my rifles hickory rod. For higher volume load development/bench/range shooting where I expect variations in loading pressure and frequent swabbing/cleaning, I’ll bring a separate range rod that is 6-12” longer then the rifles barrel. I like using a hickory of similar thickness to my rifle’s rod as it conditions me to be cognizant of the handling practices to avoid breakage and muzzle wear, important when using the rifle rod for the aforementioned activities.
-Just as a side note. It’s very important when storing/hanging your rifle on the wall using pegs/hangers that the rifles thimble and NOT the ramrod be in direct contact with the peg. Over time, and due to the weight of the barrel, it compresses the wood and weakens the rod at that point greatly increasing the chances of breaking.

Many antique military muzzleloaders have steel ramrods. It is not recommended to us them, because the hard steel will wear the muzzle of the gun. The same wear can occur when using a wooden rod, but in the reverse. The rod will wear. I prefer a 5/16th brass range rod.

I buy brass rods.......

3/8" for .45cal. to .54 cal
1/2" for .58cal. and up
After getting the brass rod home, I cut the 3/8" rods upto 36", thread one end dish out the other end. Then place a good threaded hard plastic knob on the threads. I customize a rod for each rifle by using a hacksaw to cut a slight line in the rod. Then I stamp it for a certain gun. I've had a couple pistol rods turned down for the Snake Eyes Derringer and one for a .31 cal. Vest Pocket Derringer I wanna get.

But that's just how my mind works.............

I only use the one under the barrel in the field. At the range, it's the range rod (unless I happen to forget it). Besides being made of steel and being much stronger, the big handle and longer length makes it easier to load with

I always carry a metal range rod when I go to the range and use it for cleaning prior to packing up for the day. But I use the wood, underbarrel rod for most all the loading there. I want to make sure my loads are fit for the woods where I ONLY carry and load with the wood one.

For my larger caliber guns I use a long 7/16 straight ramrod with iron ends. My other rods are made of Locust and Yew, very flexible bowstave wood Works excellent for ramrods.

Back