• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rocky Mountains

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Just another day in paradise.
70C8EDF5-4A6C-4EE0-8C48-6E0308BECC53.jpeg

Dang... Makes me wistful.

One of my favorite things about the western outdoors is the smell. It's almost everywhere on the plains and in the Rockies. Sort of a spicy, sweet, herbal scent. Those of you who live out there may be accustomed to it and not notice, but it hits me as soon as I step off a plane, every time. We just don't have that anywhere I've been in the east. We have places with nice smells, like cedar groves and berry patches, but nothing like out west. The closest thing I know of is in certain low, mesic flatwoods, we have a ground-hugging plant called "deertongue" that has a really nice, sweet, spicy smell that fills the air, but it's only in those specific habitats.

Thanks for the pictures!

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
Down here in NM we're getting rain like we got transported to Washington state! It should be nice and lush for a while until it dries out again. The cottonwoods are changing colors, the smell of roasting green chile' is everywhere. Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Back