• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rocks will make a workable flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not many good rocks serve as flints.

Jasper works real well with a striker as does quartz. Jasper holds an edge but doesnt flake like a flint.

Just a passing story from my youth. Back in the mid to late 1960s when I first started shooting flintlocks, flints were in short supply. In another thread I told about using a small wood block that fit in the jaws of the hammer, drilled to hold two or so busted off Ohio Blue Tip matches as an ignition source. I also found another kind-of source of almost flints. Being a Michigander, we have always had a large tourist trade with a corresponding amount of souvenir stores throughout the state. Back then it was not uncommon to see a small basket of arrowheads by the cash register - modern made and of varying quality. They were usually priced for a quarter or so. I would pick through those looking for the ones that appeared to be flint-like; most were plainly not but sometimes there would be a few. I would bust off the tip and the base, hoping to get something that would fit in a lock's jaws. Sometimes these former souvenirs would actually work! Of course this has very little to do with this thread's subject matter but I thought I'd just throw it in. Okay, back to the main topic.

Slabbed this fist size Wyoming Chalcedony for a friend. He says it sparks real good. I have a lot of agate and jasper here at the house. I just use store bought flints.
Made a couple boppers and tried knapping my own flints from flint nodules. Not so easy and the waste will break your heart.

Attachments

• greybull wyoming agate 2.JPG
    greybull wyoming agate 2.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 99
In Missouri there is a lot of suitable rock that could be used and is used for making gunflints. In other places suitable knappable rock of sufficient toughness and hardness would be hard to find. This is why Missouri “Burlington” chert was traded wide and far by river. If I was in New England it would be difficult to find suitable rock for knapping.
I grew up in New Hampshire, a few hours drive from Moosehead Lake n Maine. Mount Kineo (KIN-EE-0H) is on the shore of Moosehead, and is the source of a rock known as Kineo Flint. It's not a true flint, but rather a high silica form of rhyolite, formed by long, long ago volcanic action. It forms a conchoidal fracture, has a soft grayish luster, and was traded far from the source. Points, scrapers and debitage are found in middens of Native American sites.

I know from personal experience it will work very well for fire making.

Latest posts

Back