• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Robert Hoyt Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucky182

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Have any of you used his services to re-bore a barrel. If you how do you like it and how well does it shoot?

Over the years I have had about 5 done and they are all shooters. All were trashed TC barrels that I have picked up from different people who trashed them from neglect. A couple were free. Bobby Hoyt's work is great and reasonably priced.

Dave

Go for Mr. Hoyt, he is second to none! He rebored a Lyman .50 to .54 and it's a shooter! Much better than the 2001 factory barrel. Changed twist from 1:48 to 1:60. Much better for round balls.

I've had 9/10 liners installed in original barrels, both rifled and smooth bore. His work is top notch and priced very reasonable. I sent him one 52" original barrel that was a complicated job that I wasn't even sure could be done. Bobby made it happen. I don't think there is another machinist in the USA (or maybe the World) that could have done this particular job. I would not hesitate to send any barrel work to him.
He can be difficult to get in touch with (phone is the only way, early mornings seem to be best), but well worth the effort.

Rick

That's pretty reasonable. I wonder if he would turn a .45 Gibbs (Pedersoli) into a .40 with a 16 twist. That would be interesting.

That's pretty reasonable. I wonder if he would turn a .45 Gibbs (Pedersoli) into a .40 with a 16 twist. That would be interesting.
Give Mr Hoyt a call, he will tell what he can do. My grandsons and myself are having a ball working up loads for my new smooth bore.

Had the 50 cal barrel on my 1980 or so vintage TC Renegade kit gun redone by Hoyt to 58 cal. Wanted more thump down range for elk. Got more thump on both ends. Reworked barrel is much more accurate than the original, and cleans up quickly.

Have any of you used his services to re-bore a barrel. If you how do you like it and how well does it shoot?
He’s re-boring one of mine now from 50 to .54 caliber. He suggested putting a sleeve in it, because in his experience, they seemed to shoot better. He thought that it may be something with the “harmonics”. Looking forward to finding out! Also, he’s a great guy to talk to and will take as much time as necessary to make sure your satisfied.

Latest posts

Back