Robert E. Lee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
You"re almost making my point. The South couldn't while the North wouldn't.
Then the humane thing to do would have been to set them free, not watch them die by the thousands. That's the only point that needs to be made(IMHO) The ego and hubris in the South was such that they were defeated and didn't even know it. Living in denial was commonplace. People in the North could have done much better too, but like I said, its always about the money, but some like Clara Barton helped those on both sides.

Reaction score
No the north saw that prisoners hurt the south more then the north. So it stopped exchanging, using the excuse of black prisoners. If it’s captured soldiers could no longer fight , they wanted them to tax the south.
They abused southern prisoners for being southern
The abuse was much less than that suffered by those held prisoner in the south.

Eutycus

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Was there some kind of terrible blanket shortage in the vicinity of those prisons? Oh, if only 13, 000 union soldiers died at Andersonville where did the other 20,000 come from?

Reaction score
Was there some kind of terrible blanket shortage in the vicinity of those prisons? Oh, if only 13, 000 union soldiers died at Andersonville where did the other 20,000 come from?
What are you trying to do , resolve the south of guilt? Can't be done. It took time to identify many of those who died, like it says, another 4-5 yrs! You really think there was anything noble about what the south did? Please, they started a war (Sumter) that resulted in the destruction of most of the South and other States and led to the death of tens of thousands. There is nothing noble about any of it. Not then, Not now.

Eutycus

70 Cal.
Reaction score
What are you trying to do , resolve the south of guilt? Can't be done. It took time to identify many of those who died, like it says, another 4-5 yrs! You really think there was anything noble about what the south did? Please, they started a war (Sumter) that resulted in the destruction of most of the South and other States and led to the death of tens of thousands. There is nothing noble about any of it. Not then, Not now.
Not at all, there is plenty of guilt to go around. Plenty of guilt. The South didn't have the resources and the North didn't want to spend the money.I just thought I'd ask you some questions. You seem to have some of the answers or a answer,though not all of them by a long shot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Our family found out about my GG Grandfather because his son was captured with him at Ft. Fisher. Put on a boxcar stripped of their winter clothing and sent to Elmira prison. Pvt. Thomas Hall, 6th NC Infantry Reg. lived 1 month and died of pneumonia Feb. 1, 1865. A bit cold in NY with no coat during January.

Reaction score
Why didn’t the north set theirs free? Instead they purposely abused them.
Who did the same for the confederate dead in the north.
Is it some how worse that confederates did the same thing the federal did? I mean besides the fact the confederates did it from scarcity and the north did it from meanest

Eutycus

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I had seen this photo of Lee taken by Matthew Brady on his back porch many times through the years
20220808_205419.jpg
20220808_205419.jpg
20220808_205419.jpg
but I never noticed the stand behind him before. If you look between Lee's legs you will see the stand or frame that photographers used to "freeze" a subject or help hold him steady.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, so "payback" is now an accept form of behavior. got it. I have yet tor read any accounts of Southern prisoners being treated like union troops were in Andersonville. But, I could have missed a few.

Taxes and warm weather make a difference when you are older!

My point was , the South did not take care of the prisoners in any way shape or form. Their excuses for not doing it do not make it OK, just like the excuses the Japanese had, did not make it OK. Everyone always has an excuse for why they have done something, they know was wrong to do.(IMHO)

The abuse was much less than that suffered by those held prisoner in the south.
I had asked a simple question. How many prison diaries have you read? And this is what I have seen posted since.

Reaction score
Like it or not, LEE fought for the South, not just VA. By fighting for the South LEE fought to help the South support its position on slavery, among others. Since LEE was well aware of the South's position on slavery, how is it possible to separate LEE from slavery? It is that simple. (IMHO)

I've covered this in earlier posts and you've read them, no point in me replying to the subject anymore.

Reaction score
Andersonville was a ‘payback’ for how confederate POWs were being treated up north.
Let’s not pretend that Yankees were ‘following the Geneva Convention’
Odd that you say that. I shoot in Mississippi with a fellow descended from a survivor of the Civil War battle at the “ Wilderness”. His ancestor was captured, sent to Elmira, NY and post war went home to tell his story. Communication at that time wasn’t that expedient, so I doubt conditions were known by either side. If you know differently, please share sources.