Robert Campbell, Mountain Man

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Notchy Bob

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife was scrolling through her YouTube app a few days ago, and something caught my eye... "Waitwaitwait, what's that?"

Robert Campbell.jpg

It turned out to be a biography of Robert Campbell (1804-1879), an Ulster Scot (or, Scotch-Irish, as we know them in America) who came to the USA in 1822, and then got into the Rocky Mountain fur trade three years later. Campbell was one of the relatively few who both kept his hair and made a fortune. Check it out here: Robert Campbell, Mountain Man

The video is a very recent (2018) BBC production and is about an hour long. I like to see other perspectives on American history, and the BBC did a good job with this one. It features a descendant of the Campbell family, Alan McFarland, who traveled to the USA to visit the areas traversed by his family member in the days of the fur trade and interview some of the well-known authorities (Doc Ivory, James Hanson, Clay Landry...). Robert Campbell himself really was a mountain man, and his list of friends, business associates, and acquaintances reads like a "Who's Who" of the Rocky Mountain fur trade. Much of the video was filmed on location, with a few scenes using reenactors. The narration was done by a lady with a clear voice, precise articulation, and a thoroughly delightful and genuine Scottish accent.

I'm giving it two thumbs up.

Notchy Bob

pab1

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I watched this a couple years ago because of a recommendation on this site. Definitely worth watching! :thumb:

Latest posts