• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Roasted corn leaves"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not just the Chinese. My mother ate them that way when she was young and taught me the same when I was young. 2-3" long they are sweet and tender when boiled.
We use to eat young field corn too. Slather it with butter and you couldn't tell the difference twixt it and sweet corn.
I’ve eaten lots of field corn, do like the stronger ‘corn’ flavor

I’ve eaten lots of field corn, do like the stronger ‘corn’ flavor

You guys better be careful these days with these hybrids, and feed corn. It's sometimes tough to tell from people corn and corn for cows....
I tried to make some parched corn from what turned out to be a strain of feed corn for cows. It was dry, it came off the ears nice, and it parched up well. It tasted fine too.

There's a bit higher level of cellulouse...than in "eatin' corn"...in some hybrids of feed corn....

So my parched corn from feed corn turned out to have a rather harsh, laxative effect....:confused:

:doh:

LD

You guys better be careful these days with these hybrids, and feed corn. It's sometimes tough to tell from people corn and corn for cows....
I tried to make some parched corn from what turned out to be a strain of feed corn for cows. It was dry, it came off the ears nice, and it parched up well. It tasted fine too.

There's a bit higher level of cellulouse...than in "eatin' corn"...in some hybrids of feed corn....

So my parched corn from feed corn turned out to have a rather harsh, laxative effect....:confused:

:doh:

LD

Hmmm...perhaps it was the herbicide...

I parched some field corn once, it was fine, no problems.
Your corn might have had mold toxin (mycotoxin) or some other toxin on it. That will speed things up coming out one end or the other.

Sorry. I didn't have the device with the recipe when I read that, and forgot.

I claim no authenticity, and treat pretty much all'f the ingredients as optional, and leave out anything I don't have on hand.

Also, I make this super dense, to take less space when freezing in individual containers, and thin it on reheating.

Into a crockpot:

One large tin of baby corn

One small tin of thin sliced bamboo shoots

One small tin of water chestnuts

As much tofu as I have to hand, cut into 1/4" cubes

Some shredded imitation pork (go ahead and use meat)

Some dehydrated shitake mushrooms

One small to medium onion, any variety, cut in half and thinly sliced

Some jalapeños thinly sliced

A handful of peanuts (Planters firey if you can get them) or cashew pieces (wasabi flavor if you can get the cheap)

Just enough water to cover (again, this is dense for freezing in small, individual containers)

A tablespoon or four of chicken bullion powder

Six to eight tablespoons of soy sauce

Six to eight tablespoons of rice wine vinegar (white or apple cider vinegar is fine)

One tablespoon sesame oil

One or two tablespoons of garlic chili sauce

Cover and heat just to a boil and turn off the crook pot.

I portion that out into eight to ten servings.

On reheating, I boil some buckwheat noodles with a bit more bullion powder, cayenne pepper, and garlic and onion powders in the water, then use a cup and a half of that water to stretch the soup.

I suspect the typo explanation, but what changes have been made in another 250 years of hybridization, we don't know. I know some folks eat things that in my home area were considered garbage. We ate turnips and threw the tops away, Collards, Kale, Chard and a few other "greens" were considered as non-food garnishes ie edible as corn stalks. And I found that some people eat those "greens" Never found any I could stomach no matter how made. The myriad of varieties of corn though still leaves me wondering. From broom corn to pop corn to baby corn to those corn stalks that get 15 ft high there are "extinct" varieties we are rediscovering. When I visited the Lost Knife Indian village, there was a display about corn and beans grown by the Indians around North Dakota. Which immediately seemed odd because corn is simply not grown there now, the season is too short. They had several varieties of corn including some with a 55 day growing season. I have no idea what that corn may be like. Whether the leaves or husks may be more edible than modern varieties.

Nothin beats sweet corn charred in a fire. Shhhhh.
Secret ingredient I've used to win three chowder cook-offs in a row!
We found a different way to cook shuck-on ears of corn. Microwave them, one at a time for 4 minutes on full power. I use a cutting board- cut off about an inch from the stalk end of the ear. Using a oven mitt or towel- grasp the small end of the ear and squeeze the ear from that end. Squeeze toward the stalk end kinda like squeezing toothpaste from the tube. This, if done properly, will pull all of the silk off the ear with the shuck. This way produces a juicy treat that cannot be obtained by boiling. Apply butter, salt, and enjoy- be careful though- the ear will be very hot.

I've learned something very useful by reading this thread...if you don't like what a primary document says, edit it until it suits your need or understanding.

Try searching for "Leaves of Vegetables That Are Edible". In the article you will find this:

"Young leaves generally provide the most flavor for your soups, salads and other vegetable dishes. Pick young leaves one-by-one and cook them according to your preference. The young leaves of certain vegetables are the only tasty ones, such as from sweet corn, white onions, Southern peas and squash. Other leaves from these vegetables are edible but will not taste very good."

Sorry 'bout that, Ben.

Spence

Other strange things from the very early days of this country concerning corn which might make us want to edit a bit. From Maryellen Spencer's PhD dissertation, 1982, Food in Seventeenth-Century Tidewater Virginia:

[In their usual way, the English refer to Indian corn as wheat, and to individual grains of any type of grain as corns.]

Council of Virginia 1610: “To begin, with the staffe of bread. It is avowed unto mee, in writing, in the words of the Author, that hath been there, as followeth. They use to put their wheat into the ground, five cornes in one spit of earth, and two beanes with them: which wheat cornes multiplying into divers stalks, grow up twelve, or fourteene foote high: yeelding some foure, five, or six eares, on every stalke: and in every eare, some five hundred, some six hundred, some seaven hundred cornes: the two beanes, runne upon the stalkes of the wheat, as our garden pease upon stickes, which multiplie to a wonderous increase. I cannot let slip a great secret, (saith the Author) whereof I will avouch no more, then with my hands and eyes I have handled and seene, and whereof to my great comfort, I have often tasted: The wheate beeing sowen thicke, some stalkes beare eares of corne, and some (like siences in trees) beare none: but in those barren stalkes, there is as much juice as in some sugar cane, of so delicate a tast, as no fruit in England, is comparable to it: out of which Sir Ralph Lane conceived, that wee may extract sugar, in great quantity. But Sir Thomas Gates affirmeth that our men doe make cordiall drinke thereof, to their great comfort.”

Wm. Strachey 1610-12: “The natives have here a kinde of wheat which they call poketawes, as the West Indians call the same maiz. The forme of yt is of a man's tooth, somewhat thicker .... the stalk being greene hath a sweet juyce in yt, somewhat Iike a sugar-cane, which is the cause that when they gather the corne greene, they suck the stalkes, for as we gather greene peas, so do they, their corne being greene, which excelleth their old."

My grandparents raised sorghum and made molasses when I was a wee lad, and I have fond memories of sucking the sweet juice from stalks of sorghum. The men would strip the outer, tough layer off a section, revealing a wet pith full of sweet juice. We kids couldn't get enough of it. I never imagined plain corn could be the same.

Spence

Sure way to prevent eating the husks.... Pack whole ears in river mud. Bury in hot coals of campfire. In 10-20 mins remove. Crack off mud and husks. Enjoy! Husks and leaves from stock are not edible for human consumption.

Back