• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Road Trip to WI and Mich. Help Needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red Owl, did you ever make it up here to God's Country? We would sure like to hear about your adventure.

If you plan on spending the night anywhere around the Bridge or on the Island, better look for reservations NOW! Some places are probably already booked.

My understanding is the first battle of the War of 1812 was fought, sort of at the fort on the island. Sort of because the British took the fort without firing a shot. On the Island you can rent a horse and ride or add a buggy to that for your exploring. Bicycles are also available for rent.

There is a video out that documents a winter on the Island. I think it may be available through Amazon.

Some terms you might wish to know:
The bridge is simply referred to as "The Bridge". Everyone in Michigan will know what you mean.
Residents of the U.P. are called Upers (Yoopers).
Residents of the L.P. are referred to as Trolls because we live under The Bridge.

The U.P. originally belonged to the territory of Wisconsin. But after the Michigan - Ohio War in 1834, Washington gave the U.P. to the teritory of Michigan to make up for the State of Ohio taking Toledo.

And by all means, while near The Bridge or better still on The Island, pick up some Fudge. Lots of it! But it ain't cheap.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you might come up through Indiana via I-65. If so maybe you could stop off near Lafayette and visit Ft. Quiatenon. Reconstruction of a block house of the early French influence in the fur trade. The festival Feast of the Hunters Moon celebrating that influence is October7 and 8 of this year. Google Feast of the Hunters Moon it may interest you😁

If you get to Munising check out Gus a v8 powered chainsaw

Attachments

• MIISHyooper06_1066_640x310.jpg
    MIISHyooper06_1066_640x310.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 0
If you have any interest in hunting knives outdoor stuff from around 1900, there is a Marbles museum in Escanaba, MI. Webster Marbles was a timber cruiser who invented a ton of knives, and hunting / fishing equipment for people who needed serious quality for their adventures. His knife designs were widely copied by most US makers as well as in England and Germany. He also made a line of gun sights and his designs and quality are legendary over a century later.
Enjoy your trip.

Red owl posted frequently and hasn't been on this forum for some time. I sent a pm but no answer. Anyone else have any contact? Concerned.

Latest posts

Back