• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

ROA?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine has .456" diameter chambers, just too dang big for most .45 revolver molds. Need to dig out the .465" ball mold.

THE mould diameter for the ROA is .457 - says so right there on the box. '.457 for the Ruger Old Army revolver'.

I do believe the Old Army is recently back into production.

The consensus on the Ruger board is they did a small run a year or two back from leftover parts at the factory. They were snatched up quickly by the collectors and went for big $$$.

A quick search shows nothing on the Ruger website and Gunbroker is absent of any “NIB” ones of recent production.

TFoley,
There's no way in little green apples I'm shooting .457 ball in .456 chambers.
That said, I'd love to see people chime in on what the chambers in their Rugers actually measure.
I'm thinking about trying out a .458 wide flat nose 260 grain from LBT that has been sitting around neglected for ten years. I could size the rear 3/4's of it to .454 and make it slip into the chambers while shearing on the front.

Thanks! I just bought one NIB from the internet. Should arrive Monday. It’s a high polish stainless adjustable sight model with factory faux ivory stocks. Comes with box, papers, and wrench.

Seems provided I don’t bend the base pin the revolver should last. I’m picking up some .457 balls from town today. I have all other supplies. Can’t wait!
when you reassemble the revolver take care to turn the cylinder base pin retaining screw. If you don’t and you forget about it and attempt to use the rammer, you’ll bend the base pin.
I do believe the Old Army is recently back into production.
I wish it were true. It’s not. There was a short run a few years ago but they’re all gone now.

I might get some osage orange custom handles for it if the gun works good n stuff. :)

I stopped by Sportsman’s a Warehouse today and got a box of .457s.

Just hoping I don’t break a part in the gun, seems replacements are impossible to find now.

Mine is blued steel and the break was in the actual frame. NOT VISIBLE. I went on a javalina hunt with it and was head shooting rabbits all weekend. Suddenly couldn't hit a bale of hay at 15 yds, none of us could see what was up? Sent off and in 10 days +/- I got a new frame, my old cylinder and a free "extra" cylinder and a note they found the frame cracked and repair not possible. Shootin bunny heads again last time out!

Mine came with a mold for RB and conical. I shoot .457 RB exclusively.

TFoley,
There's no way in little green apples I'm shooting .457 ball in .456 chambers.
That said, I'd love to see people chime in on what the chambers in their Rugers actually measure.
I'm thinking about trying out a .458 wide flat nose 260 grain from LBT that has been sitting around neglected for ten years. I could size the rear 3/4's of it to .454 and make it slip into the chambers while shearing on the front.
Every one I’ve ever measured, (using pin gauges from .448-.458) has been right at .452 with a chamber or two here and there over or under by a thousandth. Most do not vary from .452. Ruger did an outstanding job building these guns. My fixed sighted stainless has .454 chambers but came with .452 from the factory.

I might get some osage orange custom handles for it if the gun works good n stuff. :)

I stopped by Sportsman’s a Warehouse today and got a box of .457s.

Just hoping I don’t break a part in the gun, seems replacements are impossible to find now.

It’s pretty rare, I’m sure it happens but I would worry more about global warming and acid rain caused by black powder revolver shooters... :cool:

This is the one I bought:
AF8019-CC-7-BB4-4-D8-C-A9-DA-BB083-D7-D9-D57.jpg

Advertised as NIB with box, manual, nipple wrench. 1995 hi polish model with faux ivories. If it works good and nothing wrong, I plan to get some osage orange handles for it (I love osage orange handles).

I have a black army style flap holster for my Remington. Wonder if the ROA will fit?

The grips and trigger guard from the Old Model Blackhawk will interchange, but the New Model uses a different trigger set up. However you can make a part to adapt the New Model grip frame. The ROA has a coil spring in the TG behind the trigger IIRC. On the New Model there is a square slot where the hole was in the Old Model. Make a steel ( or brass ) filler block to fill the slot then drill a hole in the plug for the spring. I put a Super Blackhawk grip frame on my ROA because the grip was too small for my liking. Besides the square back Dragoon style guard looked cooler than the rounded guard that is stock. I sold my ROA ten years ago and regret it. If I had another ROA, I might look into putting the Bisley style grip on it. I have one in .45 Colt and like the way it handles recoil.

The grips and trigger guard from the Old Model Blackhawk will interchange, but the New Model uses a different trigger set up. However you can make a part to adapt the New Model grip frame. The ROA has a coil spring in the TG behind the trigger IIRC. On the New Model there is a square slot where the hole was in the Old Model. Make a steel ( or brass ) filler block to fill the slot then drill a hole in the plug for the spring. I put a Super Blackhawk grip frame on my ROA because the grip was too small for my liking. Besides the square back Dragoon style guard looked cooler than the rounded guard that is stock. I sold my ROA ten years ago and regret it. If I had another ROA, I might look into putting the Bisley style grip on it. I have one in .45 Colt and like the way it handles recoil.
I,did the same thing wi the Super Blackhawk frame. Huge improvement, feelsmore like an 1860 Army frame now.

Mine has .456" diameter chambers, just too dang big for most .45 revolver molds.
Need to dig out the .465" ball mold.

The lee conical mold for the ROA work and is cheap. Balls should be at least .457, .465 is a typo?

The Ruger Old Army is loaded with a .457" diameter ball that leaves a nice little ring of lead. just as it should. The Lee mould, made specifically for the ROA, is marked on the packaging - 'diameter .457" for the Ruger Old Army'.

Quote - 'This design was built around the Blackhawk, but it takes its styling cues from the Remington Model 1858 cap and ball pistol. This is due to the frame being longer in front to accommodate the loading lever and pivot pin. Earlier models listed as .44 caliber, later as .45, but all use a .457” round balls or .454” conical bullets of pure lead.'

Quote - Page 1 - Title page of the Ruger instructional manual - 'Calibre .457" round ball'.

Quote - Page 9 of the Ruger Old Army instructional manual - The Ruger Old Army is designed to use a .457" diameter round ball or a .454" diameter conical...'

About the only thing that ever breaks of bends on them and there are no more factory replacements is the base pin/loading lever interface. It can be made though, by any descent home machinest.
I was blessed to get one of the better centennial blue steel models made in 1976. I'm keeping mine! They are accurate but can stand a trigger job and over travel stop to make them better. I also have a Pietta 58 target model that I have tricked up and it is more accurate them my ROA. The Pietta's take a lot of work to make them match grade but the metal and design rudiments are all there for it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back