• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

ROA?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless you need historically correct gear, the ROA may be the best C&B revolver ever made. Powerful and accurate. I have three I lucked into over the years. If I had to sell off my guns, the ROAs would be among the last to go. The only percussion revolver I've seen that is close is the Rogers and Spencer.

Jeff

Thanks all, was going to get a Rogers and Spencer but since both it and the ROA are discontinued guns, I am leaning towards the ROA because I’ve read they are almost indestructible and if taken care of shouldn’t need parts anytime soon.

Wont sell mine. I did have to have the frame replaced once. Excellent service 20 yrs ago! Thing split at the trigger guard.

Accurate, good looking and pretty much the best I ever handled. (My favorite revolver still lil 1848 tho, those are just too cool!)

Wont sell mine. I did have to have the frame replaced once. Excellent service 20 yrs ago! Thing split at the trigger guard.

Accurate, good looking and pretty much the best I ever handled. (My favorite revolver still lil 1848 tho, those are just too cool!)

Was it brass? What do you mean it split at the trigger guard, do you mean the grip frame or the actual frame the cylinder sits in?

Not following the instructions for loading and removing the loading lever assembly can result in a bent base pin. Most common problem I have seen with the ROA. I sure others will have different opinions. https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/oldArmy.pdf

Recently here in UK there is a company re-manufacturing this part - the ONLY part on the ROA that gets damaged by less than careful re-assembly after a clean-up. They sell for GBP£36, a far cry from the £80 I was quoted a coupe of years back from a local CAD company.

I have one.

@OP - I bought my ROA in 1986, and shoot it most weekends since - at least a hundred thousand shot since I shoot about 80 -100 at every session. Right now I have a set of Treso nipples, replacingthe orginals, but I think that they will outlast me.

There are NO brass parts on a ROA, unless you go for the after-market brass trigger guard - some like it, but as my ROA is stainless, it would look very odd. Any grips that fit the Super Redhawk will fit the ROA. Over here in the rest of the world the ROA is not compatible with the rules for shooting a BP revolver in competition - even the fixed sight version has coil springs and is therefore not HC. I doesn't stop us using it for all kinds of fun, and stoking it up can result in a lot of smoke and knockdowns, for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks! I just bought one NIB from the internet. Should arrive Monday. It’s a high polish stainless adjustable sight model with factory faux ivory stocks. Comes with box, papers, and wrench.

Seems provided I don’t bend the base pin the revolver should last. I’m picking up some .457 balls from town today. I have all other supplies. Can’t wait!

Mine has .456" diameter chambers, just too dang big for most .45 revolver molds.
Need to dig out the .465" ball mold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back