• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

ROA cylinder mods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted on the 1/19 that I planned a visit to Dallas in March. On the 21st, Edo put my cylinder in the mail back to me and on the 23rd he posted an attack on my character in THR blaming me for his poor handling and lack of communication. Every single comment I made about the whole situation was because he refused to even acknowledge that he received the cylinder and effectively dropped off the face of the earth. I could only conclude that they went defunct and I was out my money. In closing of this issue, I have two things to say, first, one grain of water weighs the same as one grain of powder. However one grain of powder is a larger volume than one grain of water, thusly his claimed 4.75 grain increase in capacity equals about one grain of powder , if the OEM cylinder weighs as he claims. I don't load water in my ROAs, do any of you?
Second, this whole issue came up because of lack of service and communication. In the box was a nice note that I sent with the cylinder to him that included my cell phone number and to this very minute he has never once tried to call me to settle this. He had my E-Mail and the gentleman's that sold me the cylinder, but wouldn't talk to him after that man wouldn't buy more stuff from Edo. It's settled now and I have the cylinder back. Good luck to anyone else that deals with him.

When I got my cylinders, I looked with a light to see the cylinders through the barrel and all three were about 1/32th off center or better. That is why I had to ship the frame to Edo to fix the indexing problems. It took a couple weeks but they are OK now.

robertmcw said:
When I got my cylinders, I looked with a light to see the cylinders through the barrel and all three were about 1/32th off center or better. That is why I had to ship the frame to Edo to fix the indexing problems. It took a couple weeks but they are OK now.

Robert, I owe you a beverage of your choice. Due to all the stress of Edo disappearing I never even checked that. I just tried it in Three of my ROAs and it is off center on every single one. even if I trusted Edo, I wouldn't let them alter my ROA's frame to fit one of their JUNK CYLINDERS, therefore making it not work with OEM parts.

I am going to now post Edo's letter that he sent back with my cylinder proclaiming our business "complete".

What a joke on me! :doh:

Edo has contacted me and is in the process of taking care of our problem. As of now, I will hope he follows through and then I will be a Satisfied Classicballistx customer. I am sorry this all happened.

I dont believe you will be a satisfied customer even if he gave you a full refund and bought you a new gun and dinner :shocked2: . You were too Peo'd IMHO. But I too hope he makes it right. Coulda saved ALOT of bad publicity by handling your issue in a timely manner.

I have been in the hospital since 2/10. But I know that there is a package from Classic Ballistx that came on 2/17 because our mail was stopped until I came to a hospital close to home. I have every belief that Edo has kept the deal and hope to get out soon to complete my end of it.

I just got home from the hospital and Edo was true to his word. Tomorrow I have to finish the deal. All is well and Thanks for the support. I guess I should have checked if Edo was hurt before I screamed so much. My little health deal sure took me down. I recommend Classicballistx to all.

If you made note of powder capacity before and after the modification post actual results and also range results.
I'm considering having my ROA and '58 Remmy cylinders enhanced.

Good report gl. Seems the mod is worth the trouble.
An observation I made years back on a camp out was that a Lee mold conical slug cast from as soft lead I had on hand over a max charge of powder loaded in my '58 Remmy 'buffalo' (unsure whether any of these were actually real buffalo hunter's revolvers) when fired point blank into a scrub jack pine around 5" dia blew through knocking splinters out. A companion had his 4"bbl .357 s&w with 125 gr sjhp cartridges which did not pass through.

Read through this thread and didn't see that anyone suggested shooting 4F in the ROA. I've done that a lot, years back, and I'd think the velocity increase might be in the same ball park with a cylinder modification. Has anyone chronographed that load?

Spence

My experience with the ROA was in the 1980s, and the owner's manual from Ruger said the gun was safe for all the BP you could load of any granulation. I wouldn't have done that if the manufacturer didn't recommend it. I fired 40 grains of 4F in the gun for 15 years, still have all my fingers.

Spence

M.D.: Ruger does state 4F could be safely loaded in the Old Army.

Dicky: How much additional powder does the cylinder hold?

From the Ruger Old Army manual pdf:

"Black Powder is usually classified by powder grain size, with “Fg” being the largest granulation and “FFFFg” being the smallest granulation normally available. Any granulation within these gradations could be used in the “Old Army”; normally, however, “FFFg” is the preferred grain size. Replica black powder such as Pyrodex may be used, so long as suggested loading data is strictly adhered to."

And then this:

"It is safe to use as much Black Powder as the chamber will hold, leaving room for the bullet. This maximum loading is not usually the most accurate loading, however."

And then this:

"It is safe to use as much Black Powder as the chamber will hold, leaving room for the bullet. "This maximum loading is not usually the most accurate loading, however."

Why try to make a ROA into a .44 Magnum??????????

If a person wants a .44 Mag, get one and fill out the form.

Back