• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

ROA cylinder mods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are the only one mentioning a .44 Magnum. Unless of course I missed the part stating such. Maybe it's what Ruger meant when he added that part to his manual.

Again, you missed the point, why try to make a magnum out of out of black powder pistol, seems you have a fixation on doing so.

Your magical bullets blown up any more BP pistols?

I understand some folks like to shoot "Mouse Fart" sized loads, just don't see why some insist we all should. No real reason to worry about shooting a full chamber of 4F since the ROA was designed and tested for that by Ruger. Experimenting and enjoying the results of different loads, with various projectiles is a BIG part of the fun for me.

Just because you see no point in loading these the way they were initially loaded back when they were more than a novelty doesn't make them as preposterous as you make them and those who choose to load them this out to be. And what you do is about as far away as tradition can be.

I suppose since Ruger made these able to handle full charges of 4F powder he's a part of this "magnumitis" problem.

And then your silly statement, which isn't based on truth whatsoever, about me needing to make my guns magnumized says quite a bit. I'm quite curious when my 35 grns charge for my Ruger or my Remington '58's charge of 30 grns became a magnum charge. I'm all ears. But then I don't expect you to reply as you never have when confronted about your erroneous statements.

Since you seem to think anyone that loads their pistols up to a useful level for other than paper punching is so foolish, I take it that you'd say these aren't capable of anything else because you don't see them fit or you don't have the capability and so they aren't and cannot be.

Why would my "magic" bullets blow up any guns when used as intended? Please do tell.

30 grns is far from a full load with a ball. Mine holds 40 grns of 3F Olde Eynsford or 45 grns of 3F Triple 7. But to answer your question it depends on the powder you choose. You can use the more energetic powders such as Swiss, Olde Eynsford, or Triple 7 or you can use the weaker powders.

With a reduced charge of 3F Triple 7 with very mild compression of 33 grns pushed a .457" ball 1062 fps with 361 ft/lbs from a full size ROA. A 40 grn charge of 3F standard Goex pushed a .457" ball only 812 fps for 211 ft/lbs.

A 30 grn charge of 3F standard Goex pushed a 140 grn ball 883 fps with 242 ft/lbs from an 1860 Army.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP_dwo2nThA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVmYRePzoOQ

Last edited by a moderator:
"Why would my "magic" bullets blow up any guns when used as intended? Please do tell."

Why, you did you post on another site that you cast bullets that you sold, were a possible cause of a person's revolver blowing up. That is why.....

At that time you did not know how to cast bullets and I provided a person in your home town to help you with casting.

You failed to contact the person nor your local club for help which I gave you..

That is why.

The particular bullet I gave away (I haven't sold any) wasn't used in the way it was intended. That bullet, the 285 grn, was designed specifically for the Ruger Old Army being made of modern gun steel and not the softer metal used for repros.

I was, however, quite surprised that it did make it blow up, and began asking questions on various forums. Some felt it was too much weight for such a large powder charge, some felt it could very well have been the quality of the gun, an ASM known to have quality issues, and some felt it was likely due to improper loading of smokeless powder, though I doubt that. And being the third owner without knowing how it was used and taken care of by the prior owners leaves possibilities.

And so it could very well have been, at least partly, due to the longer bearing surfaces meant to increase pressure that a Ruger can handle. My other 2 designs meant for my Pietta don't have the longer bearing surface as they are intended for mild steel.

Your other reasons don't really apply I'm afraid.

What I still don't understand is your position that if anyone uses these in a traditional fashion with larger than light loads requiring cereal grains is a fool.

And you still haven't addressed how my more accurate loads (I tested these starting at 25 grns and moving up in 5 grn increments) are this magnumized load and how you came to this conclusion that it's all I'm fixated on? You have jumped to a lot of incorrect conclusions. Maybe you should find out more before you go on a tangent.

Time to have an adult beverage and put another log on the fire.

Still waiting on you to come to Brady and shoot with us or come to San Antonio and shoot.

That's what I'm saying, stay within the bounds of what Ruger recommends but some one with a bored out cylinder is just going to have to give it a go with 4F and who knows if it will hold or not.

And why would I ever want to make such a drive to spend the day with someone who argues about things he knows very little about, and who's opinion is the only thing that matters despite facts? I wouldn't waste my gas.

:idunno:

I guess he doesn't like being asked for facts as he likes to use his opinion and assumptions as concrete evidence. He hasn't at any other time either.

I'm surprised he replies to threads that aren't about using his 18 grn charge and cereal grains to win medals as he states all too often. It's much easier to lambast people.

I have an ROA and see no reason to have it modified. If I wanted more powder capacity I would look for a walker or dragoon and dump away! But to each his own.

IMO, one of the strange things about a lot of people who buy black powder Cap & Ball pistols is, the first thing they want to do with it is to increase its power.
Even just a 5 or 10 percent gain seems to be worth whatever price the modification will cost.

To me, this doesn't make a lot of sense.

If power is what they are looking for there are thousands of those modern things out there and a used one can be bought for about the same price as a good C&B pistol.

Personally, I enjoy the big BOOM and cloud of smoke. It's a touch with the past that doesn't need more power.

One of the strange things to me is why anyone can think that just because it's not their cup of tea, it must therefore not be mine.

I loaded 23 grains 3F Goex and 17 grains Cream of Wheat for most all my shooting of the ROA, and could pretty routinely shoot groups 2" or less on the 25 yard range. It's a very accurate pistol. There was a 12" gong at 100 yards at that range, and I enjoyed shooting a few cylinders at that at the end of my practice sessions. I loaded 40 grains 4F Goex to flatten the trajectory, and could frequently hit 4 out of 10 shots with that. Shooting that big load was condoned by the manufacturer, it was safe, it was a hell of a lot of fun for me, and I don't understand why anyone would get their knickers in a knot because I loaded that way.

Reminds me of H. L. Menken's definition of Puritanism: A haunting fear that someone, somewhere, is happy.

Spence

George said:
Reminds me of H. L. Menken's definition of Puritanism: A haunting fear that someone, somewhere, is happy.

Spence
And there, old son, is the heart of the matter....and my current belief is a lot of us are trying too hard. When I went old style and simple, the whole sport became more enjoyable

George said:
One of the strange things to me is why anyone can think that just because it's not their cup of tea, it must therefore not be mine.

I loaded 23 grains 3F Goex and 17 grains Cream of Wheat for most all my shooting of the ROA, and could pretty routinely shoot groups 2" or less on the 25 yard range. It's a very accurate pistol. There was a 12" gong at 100 yards at that range, and I enjoyed shooting a few cylinders at that at the end of my practice sessions. I loaded 40 grains 4F Goex to flatten the trajectory, and could frequently hit 4 out of 10 shots with that. Shooting that big load was condoned by the manufacturer, it was safe, it was a hell of a lot of fun for me, and I don't understand why anyone would get their knickers in a knot because I loaded that way.

Spence

I too load mine up once in awhile, just for the "bang". Espeially with newbies! I just wouldnt need MORE in that gun. If ya alter the cylinder to accept more, IMHO, it's not an ROA anymore, I guess it could be an ROA+ ?? :surrender:

Back