• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ROA cylinder mods

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
seems I read on here some time back (likely some years back actually) that there's a fella that specializes in boreing and reaming the cylinder to add powder capacity and uniform the chamber i.d.'s.
anyone have a link? I'm aware of the classicballistx site that sells new precision cylinders but I don't want that.
thanks to any for replys.
Blizz

If you want an additional cylinder ever, the Classic Ballistx one is the way to go.
Any good machinist should be able to bore all your chambers to the largest diameter that you now have and deepen the chambers at the same time. Ask around for a good local one.

Contact Dave Clements at Link for cylinder boring and reaming. The website states: Deepen chambers for extra powder capacity- $60

I don't know if that includes reaming or not.

Edo Junker of 6730 Pemberton Drive Dallas Tx 75230 is the guy who claims to represent Classicballistx and fraudulently had me send a defective cylinder he sold back to them and then disappeared. His phone numbers have been disconnected but there is still an active E-Mail [email protected] if he has bilked you too. He had me mail the cylinder to the address on their website and confirmed that I sent it there and disappeared. VTI and Kirst pretty much don't want to give out any information on this criminal so I am pretty much out of luck on ever being made "Happy Classicballistx Customer" as he promised to make me. He tried to defraud another person that inquired into this incident so everyone beware of this con man please. He is presently trying to sell off black powder accessories and probably defective classicballistx cylinders at this time.

I have a ROA in blue steel and I would not recommend boring them out other than to even them up. They have plenty of capacity as is from the factory and any small amount that can be safely bored out is not going to make a hill of beans difference with black powder efficiency.

They claimed 5-10 grains of increase. Hard to really say what will happen. Maybe it would take it to a better burn with an increased charge that may take the particular gun from mediocre for hunting to a just a bit better, especially if the game you're after is a little bigger.

Down where I am the deer are barely bigger than a dog. However there are some fair sized hogs to be found, and some do get pretty big (>300 lbs). I'd prefer my hunting bullet to have as much oomph as possible.

And from the little bit of testing I've done with my stock ROA is that it does best with 35 grns of 3F Olde Eynsford or Triple 7 with both of my 170 and 195 grn WFN conicals. Would I prefer it to have a sweet spot of 40 grns? Sure would if it were hogs were talking about (or anything else that may want retribution if you didn't do the deed fairly quick).

However, I certainly can't say that it would mess with the harmonics so that I actually get worse accuracy by messing with it. Who knows?

Regardless I'm comfortable enough with what I have as is. But I did want one of those cylinders (I'd be skeptical of buying one now)...

Dork it all up by boring and twiddling, and you're unlikely to get spare parts to fix it anymore. Any velocity gains will be minimal. You'd be better off selling the ROA and getting a Walker, or even a Dragoon.

Except that a ROA is much better built and far stronger than either a Dragoon or Walker.

Uberti gives a low max powder charge which negates the point in having a gun that ought to hold 60 grns of powder. However I read that there are a few people who have been shooting 60+ grns for a long time, though some complain about the wedge being battered to death.

My ROA can easily hold 45 grns of 3F Triple 7 (only 40 grns with Olde E), and were it to have a ClassicBallistics cylinder, which claimed up to a 10 grn increase, that would possibly give it a 55 grn capacity when using T7.

But as I said, I'm comfortable with what it can do as is, and I have no intentions of boring the chambers deeper.

The Classiballistx cylinder that I bought held less powder than the stock ROA cylinder. That's why that lying crook wanted me to send it to him. (Edo Junker). He then disappeared.

Everyone else that's mentioned owning one did state theirs held more than stock, and that they were better quality overall than OEM.

Are you 100% certain it was an authentic ClassicBallistix cylinder?

thanks for the heads up about classix.
clements is the one I read about. the additional powder charge provided higher velocitys with a Lee mold slug. this would be good for close-in hunting of larger critters such as feral hog/boar.
I shot a larger one years back with a lee mold slug over 3f the slug drilled through on and off side ribs and guts was stuck in the hide. I took a risky shot on a trotting target that surprised me in a ground blind and wound up with a bit more than 1/4 mile track in slushy snow and low thicket.

Here's one of his E-Mails:

Use a small drill, drill into the balls, run a wood screw into the ball, and pull the ball out with pliers. It's easier, and besides, I would have to plug the cylinder to measure the chambers. It wouldn't hurt if you sent the balls as well, please.

I got a response from the fellow who sold the cylinder to you. He bought the cylinder along with a ROA, OEM ROA cylinder, and a CBX stainless cylinder through Gunbroker. He also supplied me a picture of your cylinder which reveals the CBX engraved on it. Usually, it takes a chemical to reveal that mark and the serial number, but I think I know how that came about, too.

The cylinders were originally sold by us to a fellow who has both been our customer and who has sold us parts. He is ROA knowledgeable and we have been on quite good terms with him. How those pieces went for sale at auction and not within the ROA community is still a mystery, but nonetheless they were.

Cylinder in hand, I will be able to figure out what happened.

I'm sorry you are having to go through all this, but we'll get it straightened out.

Regards,

Edo.
CBX

This thieving crook asked me if I sent it to the CBX PO Box as he requested and I answered that I did and tracking said it was delivered. After that the Con Man disappeared.

Yes Rodwha, it's true. I can post all the E-mails if you wish.

Dave Cements has been around for quite awhile and I have never heard any bad reports on his work. If I wanted the work done, he would be the guy for me.

I have a couple thoughts on this idea.
The ROA is no longer manufactured, screwing up an original will cost you money in the long run.
Enlarging the cylinder will require a larger projectile. I'm wondering :confused: if this could create an issue getting it past the forcing cone into the bore. :idunno: And, if some idiot in the future tried to use a hard lead ball or bullet, I'm certain that would create a possibly dangerous condition at the forcing cone.
Then finally, why? ROA is a great gun as is and plenty powerful for almost any need you might encounter with a pistol. If you are anticipating getting into a dangerouls situation with big animals, go modern. e.g. .44 mag, .500 S&W, etc.
Enjoy the ml game for what it is. My tuppence.

One of the posters here was providing projectiles for revolvers and the end user managed to blow up his cylinder.

At times manufacturers know what they are doing.

Buyer and users beware.

Rifleman: What's been discussed isn't increasing the diameter of the chamber, but the depth. It would use the same projectile.

Richard: Are you sure you know much about what you are speaking about? Can you cite specifically why this happened? Many, along with the user you speak of, have felt it was ASM's know quality problems. Orr are you you unfamiliar with the many instances of inferior products produced by that company? Maybe you should do a little research before you spout.

rodwha said:
Rifleman: What's been discussed isn't increasing the diameter of the chamber, but the depth. It would use the same projectile...

Will a longer chamber, containing more powder actually give you a significant increase in velocity, or will you be blowing unburned powder out the muzzle? Is higher velocity really better?

Back