• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ROA and conical bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have slain reams of paper with my ROA and cast .457 round balls. I was thinking about getting a Lee mold and casting some .456 220gr conicals for some variety. Is the ROA and this bullet a good match? How say you?

I use the .454 conical in my Ruger with good results. Not great, just good; doesn't match the groups from my single shot caplock target pistol. I get much better results in my 3rd Generation Colt Dragoon w/ the .454 conicals than round ball. Actually get respectable groups until my arm gets tired.

I have that Lee mold Ogre. uncertain of the dia. of the slug (.457?) but do know it's larger than the '58 Remmy .44 slug[.452?] (have that one also), doubtful you will be disapointed just use as pure lead as you can get. mine likes the hot loadings with the slug.

I HAVE BETTER ACURACY WITH THE CONICAL THEN THE ROUND BALL. WISH THEY MADE ONE FOR MY 36 CALABERS.

Not that this means anything here and now...but one reason Colt got out of G.B. was reports of those nutty guys we are fighting now but called something else then would take 5 36's right thru the chest and still slit the owner of the Colt from head to ..before falling down dead, just info I've read the last month in history books.( the Welby is a good gun,and double action I think at the time, then you had the gun that really "Won the West" the org "Bull Dog" in .450 up to 577, bet that was fun to shoot and not much getting hit by it! :surrender: :rotf: Fred :hatsoff:

you should give 'em a try - who knows you might get a chance to tag along on a boar or bear hunt. I use mine for that.

I have a Lee 36 cal conical mould It is double cavity. Just be sure to use pure lead.

Back