• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RMC loading stand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rfp10000

40 Cal
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has experience with the RMC loading stand especially with the Colt 1860 ? The Traditions doesn’t really work with the Colt arbor size, not to mention the weaknesses of the Traditions stand. RMC is cheaper than the Powder Inc model, about the same as the Traditions, so I was curious.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with the RMC loading stand especially with the Colt 1860 ? The Traditions doesn’t really work with the Colt arbor size, not to mention the weaknesses of the Traditions stand. RMC is cheaper than the Powder Inc model, about the same as the Traditions, so I was curious.

Yes, I have both RMC and Powder inc loaders. They must be C-clamped to a solid bench first. Extra leverage hollow rod helps. Do not expect to get much compression so leave space for the ball with both. My .36 cal RMC loads fine with .44 and .36 on many different guns. I would not hesitate to use either for match shooting...c

thanks for your comments …
I ended up getting the Powder Inc version … I will have to see about clamping it at the range . I’d prefer not to HAVE to do that.
As to taking the cylinder out of the 1860 Colt(2nd.Gen) , do you have any special technique for removing the wedge ?
I’d like to be able to compress the spring retainer clip a bit as I push the wedge out so it doesn’t wear on the barrel as much.
I tried a few ways but it was too much trouble.
I just use a brass wedge tool and pound the wedge out without worrying about the spring retainer clip . It comes out with no problems other than it seems like if I do remove the cylinder a lot for off gun loading it might wear at the barrel a bit too much .

thanks for your comments …
I ended up getting the Powder Inc version … I will have to see about clamping it at the range . I’d prefer not to HAVE to do that.
As to taking the cylinder out of the 1860 Colt(2nd.Gen) , do you have any special technique for removing the wedge ?
I’d like to be able to compress the spring retainer clip a bit as I push the wedge out so it doesn’t wear on the barrel as much.
I tried a few ways but it was too much trouble.
I just use a brass wedge tool and pound the wedge out without worrying about the spring retainer clip . It comes out with no problems other than it seems like if I do remove the cylinder a lot for off gun loading it might wear at the barrel a bit too much .

A rubber hammer works for me. Wear is just part of use. Fit new parts as needed...c

Thanks again.. I do have a hammer with a rubber head & a plastic head … the brass wedge tool I use on my 12 ga works great … I was just trying to see if any of you experienced folks had a trick to save the Colt 2nd barrel from the wear developing at the wedge spring retainer clip…

You don't need to remove the wedge just leave it in the frame and pull it back enough to remove the barrel off of the arbor. That little spring is there so you don't loose the wedge when removing the barrel.

I know that. What I was talking about is the little retaining clip on the right side of the barrel that keeps the wedge from coming out. I pound the wedge just to release barrel. It’s not a big deal . I was just curious if people had some trick to push it down while moving the wedge to the left.

I've never seen any wear develop from the wedge spring.

As Zug said the only function of that spring is to catch the underside of the screw head on the left so the wedge isn't lost. Ideally it shouldn't go far enough through the right side for it to pop up.

The majority of revolver shooters in the N-SSA use some style of cylinder loading devise and I have never seen anyone clamp one down. I use a simple one (no need for a more sophisticated design) similar to the RMC one only a little stronger construction and my wife uses a similar style but larger. Neither of us have ever seen any need to clamp them down.

I've never seen any wear develop from the wedge spring.

As Zug said the only function of that spring is to catch the underside of the screw head on the left so the wedge isn't lost. Ideally it shouldn't go far enough through the right side for it to pop up.
That was exactly the kind of idea I was looking for … I’ll try not pushing the wedge in from the left to the point where the retainer catches the barrel … I never thought of that …I thought the clip kept the wedge securely in place … I’ll take a look at trying that.

I looked at pictures of Colts from the right side and all I saw show the wedge spring uncompressed and the retainer clip holding the wedge in place in the barrel … I’ll just stick with that.

Back