• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

river cane measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrbaker90

40 Cal.
Reaction score
how hard are river cane powder measure are to make thinking trying to make one jus want some advice

Very, very, easy. I would let it dry 1st. I suppose you could cut it down close to final size to reduce dry time.
I put a bit of time into mine, mostly just getting the measurement spot on and then doing a real clean job finishing it. Sanding cut or filed edges down to at least 600 grit paper, making sure there are no sharp edges or places that can catch on something and lift a fiber. Then heating and applying beeswax to the outside and cut edges to keep it from absorbing moisture.

I also use them to hold a pre-measured charge, with a cork stopper. Carry 4 when deer or turkey hunting.
Leaving the horn at home. Not sure if H/C, but works for me.

I got me 2 stalks going to cut it down and let it dry out how long should I let it dry?

I'm from the South, originally, and have made a bunch of river cane measures. It's about a difficult as chewing gum. I'm in the northeast now and miss all that nice river cane.

Back