• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ripped off by a liar and a thief WARNING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WKD

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is an open letter to be used as a warning to those selling custom guns thru this forum.

A member had posted asking to buy a 16 gauge fowler saying he would pay up to $2,000.

I responded and told him I was building one if he was interested and sent some pictures of past builds so he could see some of my work.

Among those pics was a shot of a single purpose turkey hunting gun I had built for me. He asked “how much” I had not intended to sell it but quoted $1,900. plus shipping after some discussion, I offered to sell it for $1,800. Shipped if he would return the shipping box.

He sent money thru paypal and I mailed it along with shot, wads, and loading instructions.

He received it close to a week later. He didn’t like it. I offered a full refund if he mailed it back, this didn’t satisfy him he complained about fit and finish and how he had been screwed before and how he wasn’t going to let me screw him.

In order to assure him I was not about taking advantage of him I sent half the purchase price back and promised I would send the balance when I received the gun. He continued complaining and has refused to send the gun until I send refund balance.

In short, I have been building flintlocks for over 35 years and this is the first time I have had a liar and a thief do this to me. If you are a custom builder, be careful. This is a wonderful sport filled with great people but there are liars and thieves among us.

Attachments

• IMG_20210413_151339.jpg
    IMG_20210413_151339.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 372
Here we go again. Another case that a little judicious use of common sense could have prevented.

And if it goes that far, paypal will side with the account holder/buyer.

If you sent him pictures of the gun, then he should have known what he was getting. I wouldn't have given him a penny until the gun was returned in the same shape it was shipped. Let him complain until then. At least you still have your parts money. Let him keep the gun and post his name here, and move your money out of Paypal.

To be 100 percent honest, I have purchased one fo WKD's guns. A 62 folwer. While I would not call it top notch state of the art muzzle loader, I would tell you all it was well build, very seviceable. It came in a box well prodected from the gorilla hands at the USPS. Could one of two things been better? Yes, Was the weaon exactly as described by WKD and as represented by the pictures? Yes. The smoothie was well worth the money and continues to serve me well on deer, turkey dove and ducks. The 62 is what I may refer to as a "working mans gun". Would I buy another from WKD. HELL YES!!!!

Lots of photos and detailed descriptions of the good, the bad and the ugly. After that, it is on the buyer who should ask for any clarifications.

Sorry you feel like you got took. I too had a less than stellar deal recently from a member on here. Not as bad as yours though. I hesitated to mention the user as well… so understand your hesitancy.

Lets not fun the poor guy. I am currently selling some rifles and would be very unhappy if a buyer, after seeing the pics and descriptions, bad mouthed me and held hostage the freight/rifle/ peace of mind etc. Some want too much. I list mine as hunted. They do have handling marks. Not cracks or gouges. Scratches on bluing? Ya a bit. THEY ARE USED.

Folks read the condition, ask the questions and if the gun arrives as advertised pay up and shut up (or be polite and pay the reverse shipping).

And if YOU can't make that road, a few $$$ to the right people will get the job done.
Had a guy looking at one of my MLs I have for sale. He mentioned something about wanting to see it first? Told him, not much different from the pictured or in person.
I also mentioned something about FTF and knocking off the shipping if that came to be.
And I also mentioned "if he planned on low balling me at a FTF, I was heading home, gun in hand. Cricket, Cricket, Cricket. Mikie don't play those games. :(

if he is a member here his name could help prevent another crime? Sounds like neither of you trust the other. Hard spot.
I don't want to start a flame war, he knows who he is
I would stipulate the return conditions up front and once received by the buyer not send any refund amount until the returning item had been received.
My fault for trying to be the better man, like I said " first time in 35+ years" Ive built well over 200 guns. Like another said most are working mans guns not high art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back