• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ringing the gong!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Proud to say I am now killing red coats at 200 yards. The other day I dinged the gong at that distance, with my rifle made by a fellow member. I am a self admired decent, bordering on mediocre rifle shot, so I am truly proud of this work. I have figured out how to dope the distance, so she can usually go where I put her now, if I do my part. I am about to officially name her! (lol) I do not intend to brag at all! I am not Daniel Boone. But I wanted to share this work with my cyber friends-Larry

Well, I can't say that I am too pleased with your new skill set. Remember that the British soldiers saved the colonies during the French and Indian War.

I remember those days when I could regularly knock over the NMLRA silhouette bears at 200 yards. Enjoy the success while you can.

Gong was about the size of a run of the mill laptop. Maybe a bit bigger. I was shooting my new .54 with 90 grains fff (I have found out that's what she likes best) and .18 interesting "star" styled ticking patches from October Country. They load ridiculously easy, and the rifle seem two love them. It was a benched shot. the .54 has a 44 inch barrel, and for a rifle the size of a telephone pole, it handles better than my girlfriend.

Well, I can't say that I am too pleased with your new skill set. Remember that the British soldiers saved the colonies during the French and Indian War.

I remember those days when I could regularly knock over the NMLRA silhouette bears at 200 yards. Enjoy the success while you can.
I, admittedly, enjoy learning/reading about the French and Indian War more than any other topic. However, I will take care of every lobster back I catch eyes on. I am from New England, and remember that it was us brick-headed and obnoxious people that started the wonderful struggle that was the Revolution.

Gong was about the size of a run of the mill laptop.

I’d say that’s one heck of a shot at 200 yds. Something to be proud of.

Without running the risk of pestering you about your rifle, I’d still like to know a little bit more about it?

Type ( school ) of muzzleloader?
Lock type?
Triggers ?
Barrel manufacturer and twist?
Type of wood?

Picture would be excellent if you have one to share my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

One thing is that during the French and Indian, British did not sound like the do now. That accent came later.

Instead, they sounded about how modern Canadians or Americans sound now! Same for the revolution. Those guys did not have the preppy British accent we know of today then.

Proud to say I am now killing red coats at 200 yards. The other day I dinged the gong at that distance, with my rifle made by a fellow member. I am a self admired decent, bordering on mediocre rifle shot, so I am truly proud of this work. I have figured out how to dope the distance, so she can usually go where I put her now, if I do my part. I am about to officially name her! (lol) I do not intend to brag at all! I am not Daniel Boone. But I wanted to share this work with my cyber friends-Larry
PICTURES!!! WE NEED PICTURES!!!!!

Ill get my pictures soon enough (I am in Virginia away from home at the moment) and Ill work on tracking down all the specs for you guys. But for any of you that want to see the rifle, type in "fainot" into the search box here and the rifle you find is the very same one that I have! I am in love with her. The 44 inch barrel swings and balances like a fine fly-rod. If the builder beats me too it I am sure he can also provide the lock and barrel info. He is a pretty prolific member here. I will get you all the stuff you want Cowboy and Grizz!

let me tell you that 76++ year old eyes have trouble seeing the wife in the AM. let alone 200 yards.

Heres the rifle for anyone interested!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 9.19.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 9.19.49 AM.png
    582.4 KB · Views: 186
I remember years ago, we had a shoot at a gong, (Oxygen cylinder) at 200+ yards. Both shooters ahead of me, (They were good shoots) claimed a hit, I missed. My wife with her new 50 cal percussion fired and did that cylinder ring, I looked at the other two and said "Your shoots didn't sound like that"

A fellow forum member. Rich Pierce. He had been holding on to it for a couple of years and I discovered a thread in which he had posted a picture of it. A true gentleman and a new friend. His craftsmanship is unbelievable. It was based upon a rifle built by George Frederick Fainot in the mid 1770s or so. He was a French immigrant turned gunsmith. Interestingly, on commission, he built several rifles for the Continental army. I hope Rich is ok with me identifying him as the builder but his work is truly stunning and I would love you guys to share the chance to appreciate it. My only other rifle is a beautiful .50 cal that I got in high school about 8 years ago (revealing my baby-face yikes). It is an awesome shooter, but has a straight 42in barrel and handles like a lead telephone pole. The Fainot rifle is 44 inches and swamped in the barrel department, and handles and balances like a custom built fly rod. My dad has a few unmentionable "Buffalo rifles" by a pretty renowned company from Montana, and the fineness of this rifle competes with them in everyway. Sorry to be longwinded but you guys have got me in an frenzy of excitement all over again lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back