• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TRADE Right handed mocotaugan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
681EF2D4-1B81-4491-957D-4A912E7BA2A7.jpeg

I made this one a couple of years ago. It works like a one handed draw knife. I think of them as Northern tribe tool, they are still used in Canada.

Howdy:
According to James A. Hanson these are referred to as "crooked knives?" Mocataugan is the Cree Indian name for this knife. These were sold by the Hudson's Bay Co. as early as the 1720's. They were a wood working knife. They were made in Right AND Left handed versions depending on whether you were Right or Left handed. Just mentioning this.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Howdy:
According to James A. Hanson these are referred to as "crooked knives?" Mocataugan is the Cree Indian name for this knife. These were sold by the Hudson's Bay Co. as early as the 1720's. They were a wood working knife. They were made in Right AND Left handed versions depending on whether you were Right or Left handed. Just mentioning this.
God bless:
Two Feathers

love J.A. Hanson’s books
Before the introduction of metal the First Nations used beaver incisors as crooked knives. They’re practically a metal because where other rodents have magnesium in their tooth enamel beavers have iron. The high iron content is why a beavers incisors are reddish orange. Very useful to have iron teeth when you’re chewing down aspen all day. Before metal tools the beaver incisor was the best woodworking tool found in nature.

F6339B5E-8F9C-4464-AE5E-4616EB907A72.jpeg

love J.A. Hanson’s books
Before the introduction of metal the First Nations used beaver incisors as crooked knives. They’re practically a metal because where other rodents have magnesium in their tooth enamel beavers have iron. The high iron content is why a beavers incisors are reddish orange. Very useful to have iron teeth when you’re chewing down aspen all day. Before metal tools the beaver incisor was the best woodworking tool found in nature.

View attachment 109746
Rato':rats:
Thank you buddy. I LOVE learning new things!! Whoda;' thunk it?? Iron beaver teeth!!! Now when my wife says "hey your teeth are getting Yellow," I;ll have an excuse...too much Iron in my diet! :eek:o_O
I'm a Hanson fan too. I need more of his books.
Merry Christmas. 🎅 🎅
God bless:
Two Feathers

Back