• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rig-is it good stuff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Doing an Inventory of the depths of my old shooting box. Some interesting finds. One is a small jar of Rig, which is labeled as a patch lube. Looks like axle grease to me.
any recommendations, pro or con on this stuff?

It is good for long term storage. Probably good for protecting the underside of pinned barrels

I've also had a small jar for over 30 years. Wipe down all metal surfaces after cleaning and again every few months or so just for the heck of it. Never heard of it used for patch lube though. Seems like it might be a little thick for that....

Used rig lubing 30 cal unmentionables at Camp Perry in the 80's. Good lube for that and still have about 30% of a container left. I don't know about a lube for black powder as I think it is petroleum based which isn't the best for BP use.

As with above posts, I've been using one small jar for decades. I've left a small folded square of flannel in the jar to apply when needed. Just found a huge 8oz jar at an auction so I'm set for the next 320 years based on current usage. I've never used it for anything except rust prevention.

Back