• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rifles of Colonial America #132

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stophel

75 Cal.
Reaction score
For those who happen to live in the general area, and you want to see first hand a genuine early American rifle, RCA #132 is on display at Dixie Gun Works. Apparently it has been there forever.... if I had known that, I'd have gone there a long time ago just to see it!
:D
I had only been there like once before... probably about 1990. My travels take me right by there often now, so today I decided to stop. Glad I did.

The gun is displayed in a glass case that you can see all the way around the gun fairly well, considering. I did not presume to take photos, figuring they probably wouldn't like it. Very interesting to see in person. Fantastic gun, really, and it seems to get little or no attention today.

My personal feeling is that it is Berks county, ca. 1770. I'm not dogmatic about it, but for myself, I'm reasonably certain. Too many Berks-isms to ignore. The whole gun has a full, round feel. The fore end is replaced ahead of the lower rod pipe, but the rest of the forearm appears to be all original from there back. Thick, wide, ROUND forearm... very Berksy. None of this thin, tapered out to nearly nothin' stuff. The wrist also has an obvious oval appearance.. Wider than high. It's not much, but it is apparent. Very round through the lock area forward into the forearm. I noticed how heavily worn the comb is forward of the buttplate. That's a lot of cheek rubbing. Pretty kooky rear sight... appears to have applied "wings" on either side to make sort of buckhorns. Both are bent forward, as I recall. I could not see underneath it well enough to see what the rear ramrod pipe finial looks like, or if there is any kind of carving left there.

Definitely worth a look if you are interested in such "early" guns, if you happen to be in the area.

For those who happen to live in the general area, and you want to see first hand a genuine early American rifle, RCA #132 is on display at Dixie Gun Works. Apparently it has been there forever.... if I had known that, I'd have gone there a long time ago just to see it!
:D
I had only been there like once before... probably about 1990. My travels take me right by there often now, so today I decided to stop. Glad I did.

The gun is displayed in a glass case that you can see all the way around the gun fairly well, considering. I did not presume to take photos, figuring they probably wouldn't like it. Very interesting to see in person. Fantastic gun, really, and it seems to get little or no attention today.

My personal feeling is that it is Berks county, ca. 1770. I'm not dogmatic about it, but for myself, I'm reasonably certain. Too many Berks-isms to ignore. The whole gun has a full, round feel. The fore end is replaced ahead of the lower rod pipe, but the rest of the forearm appears to be all original from there back. Thick, wide, ROUND forearm... very Berksy. None of this thin, tapered out to nearly nothin' stuff. The wrist also has an obvious oval appearance.. Wider than high. It's not much, but it is apparent. Very round through the lock area forward into the forearm. I noticed how heavily worn the comb is forward of the buttplate. That's a lot of cheek rubbing. Pretty kooky rear sight... appears to have applied "wings" on either side to make sort of buckhorns. Both are bent forward, as I recall. I could not see underneath it well enough to see what the rear ramrod pipe finial looks like, or if there is any kind of carving left there.

Definitely worth a look if you are interested in such "early" guns, if you happen to be in the area.
Stophel,
Thanks for the heads up about RCA #132. So often I take an institution for granted and miss what is right in front of me.

I’ve taken pictures in Dixie before… but don’t recall the rifle you are referring too.

They own a lot of stuff, I’m sure they rotate their inventory..

The museum there is well worth the price of admission! $1 if I remember correctly…

This is displayed right in front, near the front door, in a stand-alone case, across from a big glass case full of derringers and revolvers. Also holding a very fancy French gold-inlaid double gun, probably by Boutet, but I didn't really even look at that! :D All of the guns have information typed out on cards or sheets of paper, long browned from age (probably all typed up in the 50's!). No admission, just walk in the door.

I didn't go into the old car museum that day, I wanted to get on home.

There’s more than old cars over there…..👀

Near the back corner there’s an old time gun shop set up. It has a couple of rifling benches and tons of antique hand tools..👍

Back